Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powerbook G3 Wallstreet Keyboard/ Power Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosie2

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2003
US
My two year old pulled the spacebar off of my Powerbook G3 Wallstreet laptop. It appeared that nothing was broken. I snapped the spacebar back on. It is attached and behaved like it used to. Now when I type any character nothing happens. However the mouse works without issue. I made the mistake of turning the computer off to see if a reboot would cure the problem. Now the power button intermittantly works. When the computer does turn on none of the keys work at all. It is possible he hit a bunch of keys and disabled/enabled something I suppose. The computer was on when he pulled the spacebar off. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot further would be great. Thanks

Never had this happen, but if replacement is the answer you find, remember ebay

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I'd try the following:

1) Make sure the NumLock (Fn + F5) is off - sometimes causes the keyboard to act differently that one might expect if one doesn't know it's on.

2) Carefully disengage the keyboard, and examine all the connections; make sure nothing else was visibly "strained" by the 2-year-old test engineer (;^])

3) Try carefully prying off the space bar as was done earlier (sounds like you have nothing to lose if you're at this point) and look for some other damage/connection problem/foreign substance that might be gumming up the works.

Jimbo's comment about eBay is correct - - in fact, it reminds me I need to deal with an old 233 Wallstreet that I should part-out one of these days.....it just never ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back