Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

power up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanKorn

Technical User
Mar 28, 2002
US
I just replaced a power supply on a Compaq S5200 computer (350W that is compatible with the unit I replaced) and now when I plug the PC in and try to turn it on I get a power active indication (lights are on and CPU fan is running) and then the power just goes off.
Anybody have any ideas on the cause or better a solution to this problem?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Stan

Remember - only dead fish go with the flow.

Make sure the CPU's fan is connected to the correct MB terminal.

Yes = all is set up the way I received it from the client. I am not sure that it was correctly set up when they gave it to me and since I had to replace Power supply ... well.
Is there anywhere to get a digram of the MoBo = it is a P4G533-LA and I can't seem to find the details for it. I believe it is an Asus OEM board.
Thanks for your help.
Stan

What was the reason for replacing the PS?

Hi;
I found the MoBo info I was looking for. One additional piece of info - when I power up I get a very short beep just b4 power shuts off - can anyone tell me the significance of this? Also the time frame I am speaking os is less than three seconds.
Thanx,
s

It was blown

The blown PS may have taken the MB with it.

ouch
Hadn't thought of that.
Do you think that the cpu and other components may have also suffered. I need to let the client know and see what she wants me to do.
thanks for your help with this.
stan

StanKorn
Actually much more common for a blown hard drive to take out the hard drive or CDrom/roms first.
Just pull off the IDE and molex power connections to the hard drive and roms, now see if you get a post?
When a PSU blows in my experience it can take damage:
in order first
The hard drive
CDroms/writers etc
Lastly the motherboard
Very rarely, memory/CPU/Graphics card

And or a combination of parts*********

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Hi:
I tried to isolate the components and it turned out to be the DDR ram.
Thank you all for your help with this :),
stan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back