Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Test on new custom machine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

onrdbandit

Programmer
Mar 12, 2003
US
Howdy,

I am working on building a pc, and I want to test all the components I have installed at this point. (specifically fans, lights, switches, etc). Will I screw up my board if I power-up without a CPU or RAM installed? I just want my PSU to power-up; I realize actually booting is not realistic.

Thanks for an assistance,
onrdbandit

No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

If you do not have a CPU installed, I doubt your board will power up at all.
You can certainly try, though. Today's motherboards have integrated a certain number of failsafes and other protections to ensure that nothing bad happens to them when turned on.
So I doubt you'll fry your motherboard by trying to turn it on, but I also doubt you'll get any result if you haven't put in the CPU and the RAM.

Pascal.

As I remember when I was playing around with an older ATX board about 4 months ago. With the board out of the machine on a piece of cardboard with the PCU and case fan pluged in, the PCU fan and case fan will turn but nothing else. Next install the CPU then you will get a series of beeps telling you there is a RAM problem. Put in the RAM and then It will look for the Floppy drive, CD-rom and the Hard drive. It should not hurt the MB. I hope this helps.

Doss

Sweet...

I didnt think there would be any problem, but I just wanted to make sure there wasnt any "cardinal rule" against it. Thanks for the assistance, I'll now test my fans and stuff, just to see how cool they look [afro].

Well, thanks guys but it was a moot point anyways.

pmonett is a psychic. Nothing on powerup attempt...

[thumbsdown][thumbsdown][thumbsdown][thumbsdown]

But maybe there was no crash and burn either!

I wish ! Or do I ?
Really, one day I was rebuilding my PC from scratch (new motherboard and graphics card, plus new tower and PSU). I was happily buzzing about plugging in the HDD and video, stringing the IDE cables and connecting the floppy. Thought all was ready, plugged in the PSU and pressed the I/O button and . . . nothing. Not a peep, not a whirr, total silence.
I was there, scratching my head, when all of a sudden I noticed my HSF and CPU sitting to the side. I had forgotten them.

That is how I knew about your PC not starting up.
Now, about this accident you're going to have next week . . .

;-)

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back