Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronmon

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2002
IE
I am bulding a computer and i have one wuick wuestion. I was thinking of going for an AMD athlon 1600+ processor 256 SDRAM, Geforce2 32 MB, Fortisound Sound card. Now the question i have is would a 200w power supply be ok for this set up or will i need to go up to 300w?

Ye 200 shd be fine, might need higher if you put in more devices

I would go for 300W personally, just so that u can expand where necessary. You are getting a powerful cpu so i wouldnt go for anything less than 300W anyway. _______________
Stretchy

300W all the way... worth the little extra cash in the end!

With AMD I'd go for 350 however, It would be a good idea to check and see what AMD recommend, some of their newer processors need less power than the older ones.

If you follow some of the older AMD power threads, you will notice that not having enough power is probably the number one reason for a self built PC not working. It's worth doing a little extra research to make sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back