Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Supply Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenbobmillionaire

Programmer
Jun 13, 2000
EU
My computer decided to play up last night - when you switch it on, the green 'on' light illunminates and the fans start up but it wont boot. The monitor displays the 'Monitor working correctly' etc message. You also cant switch it off by the on/off switch once it is on, and needs to be unplugged to power down.
Anyone any ideas of the cause - possibly the power supply?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Mick

Power supply can cause it if low voltage went out (depends on system type), memory, processor, video, or bios.
Simplify to the minimums and see if it will give a splash screen.
Pull all offboard connectors except power if it is needed, all cards except video if expansion card, reseat memory and try there. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

If it was the power supply, nothing would turn on when the computer was switched into the "ON" status. If you know what you're doing, open up the box, and start trouble-shooting like the above person just suggested.

- Enigma666
(Jonathan)

Good old ATX. Either the PSU or motherboard is on the way out mate.
Probably the PSU.

Thanks for the replys - I disconnected everything from the motherboard and switched on - still no beeps and no display, but the cd trays did operate when the drives weren't connected. Reconnected the drives to the board and they would not open. Does this look like it is the motherboard?
Thanks
Mick

As I originally said, there is absolutely no way it can be the power supply, it is definitely the motherboard. If the motherboard was functioning it would beep in order to tell you that something is wrong. I personally suggest Abit and (or) Soyo.

- Enigma666
(Jonathan)

I disagree. If this is ATX, it is possible that the 3.3 supply has gone out. The 5v & 12v supply can still be good and let the fan, hard drive, and CDs operate as described.
But without low voltage it won't process so it can't shut down. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

if it appears to work without anything plugged in then probably it is one of the items you unplugged try a process of elimination by plugging in each one and seeing if it is the culprit...

i just had pretty much the same thing happen to me. I was in the middle of working, when then screen went blank("the monitor is working") and all of the IDE drive lights came on (DVD, CD, HDD), of course, since they were being accessed, the drive tray wouldnt open. Anyway, i had a warrenty on everything so i sent the ram, the mobo, and the processor back, i just called the company, and they said that everything tested out ok. So that must mean that my PSU is dead. ALSO: i have an old mobo with both atx and at PSU connectors on it. I plugged in my old atx(the one i think is dead)PSU and the machine would not boot. Fan's would come on, as well as drives- they were all pluged in to the 4 wire plug(dont know name). Anyway, nothing appeared on the monitor. I pulled out an old AT PSU i had sitting around, and plugged it into the same MOBO. It worked, booted and everything. So... do you think my power supply was dead, and sending my hardware back was a waste of time? heh, lol. Opinions/Comments greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back