Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Supply Fan Not Running 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonofAdam

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
US
Computer: HP Pavilion 760n desktop; five years old
Power Supply: HiPro

I have just noticed that the fan on this power supply is not running, but do not know how long this has been the case. The area around the grill is warm to the touch but not ‘hot’. The computer is running normally, no shutdown problems, never have. I am wondering if this is a type of fan that only comes on above a certain temperature. The main computer cooling fan is running fine, it is just the fan on the power supply that I am concerned with. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Does the fan seem gripped? using a toothpick through the holes does it seem to move freely?

Is the fan is temp controlled, it would probably say so in your user's manual.

This is very interesting...I did your 'toothpick assist' test. I was able to move the fan blade with the toothpick, but it was not at all free-wheeling. After several nudges with the toothpick, it began turning slowly on its own, and after continued nudging, is now spinning at what seems like its normal speed! No telling how long it was stopped, and I surmise that the power supply itself must be pretty robust not to have failed itself without the fan cooling. I will keep an eye on it. With the whole system being five years old, I have been thinking of replacing it and this event adds another reason. Thanks for the 'toothpick' advice!

Felixc's toothpick trick...you did not mention if it should be used or not. Have a star sir.

SonofAdam, the fan is freezing up due to either dust buildup or a worn bearing, both will eventually kill the PSU. The fan should be easy to replace and on a 5-YO unit that would be the way to go. You know your PSU circuitry is good!

Tony

Just to add, regardless of how long it might have been running without a fan, I recommend changing the PSU (I would recommend changing the fan itself, but if you don't know what you are doing, they hold a powerful charge).

While the PSU itself might not matter to you, if it blows up, it will probably take some, if not all of your computer components with it.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

The fan can be easily lubricated by removing the cover of the PSU, then the four screws holding the fan. Once you have the fan loose (not necessarily disconnected) pize out the bung underneath the sticker and apply 3-4 drops of light oil.
Give the fan and PSU a good blow out or jst clean the fan with a small pain brush.

It is very simple and takes around 15mins in total BUT!!!!
HERE COMES THE WARNING!
EVEN WHEN COMPLETLY DISCONNECTED THE PSU'S CAPACITORS RETAIN A HIGH CHARGE WHICH CAN KILL.
So if you go this route don't touch anything inside the PSU, use extreme caution.
To be fare,it is pretty easy to carry out this work without getting a shock but it would be unprofessional of us not to warn you of the dangers.

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

The trick of removing the sticker and oiling the bearing is worth trying.

It just depends if you feel at ease at opening the power supply. All you need is a screwdriver to open the PC, the power supply case and to take off the fan.I have done it on some old PCs that had non-standard fan sizes, and even on the fan of my ATI graphics card. I have done it when the fans were getting noisy, not when they have gripped, but it may also work. Be careful to not damage the sticker when taking it off, so you can put it back afterwards.

Aa paparazzi warns, be careful about electrical shock. Even when the PC is off, the power supply is still "on" because it has to supply a standby voltage to the PC, so if you want to do it make sure that its power cord has been disconnected for a couple of hours.

make sure that its power cord has been disconnected for a couple of hours

I think 24 hours would be a better duration...

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I appreciate the various advice from you all, especially the electric shock warning. I will probably not attempt to replace the power supply or fan, as I don't have that kind of skill. I will be replacing the whole desktop very soon.

This is a very helpful group, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back