Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Supply (automatic bootup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakone

Technical User
Feb 26, 2003
US
Currently i have a server that uses an AT style power supply the reason is, that we have the server hooked up to a timer that turns on in the morning only (we turn the server off at night) My question is i need to upgrade the server but to upgrade it i need to buy an ATX style motherboard, but now i can't hook up the server to a timer because of the ATX power swtiching that must be done manuel. I was wondering if anyone knows a way to get the system to turn on automaticly maybe a software any suggestion?(we do not want to leave the server on all night).

Thanks
rak

In an AT style the computer switches on when the mechanical switch is on. and remains off when the switch is off.
But in an ATX the supply remains off even if there is a power failure because the switch is not mechanical but it is an electronic one... or say it is connected to the motherboard that is inturn controlled by the bios and the power is put off when there is a power restore.
there is an option in the ATX motherboard Bios which gives you the option of

The computer is set ____________ when the power restore.
a.) ON
b.) OFF

well some thing like this and this is mostly present in the Advanced Power Management --> Tab/Page.

Hope you have the answer now.
Go and upgrade the System now.

Depending on your expertise you could build a small circuit that would pulse the power on pins with a one second short to turn the computer on. Or for the low tech approach kewlcoders solution will work.

Thanks for the info it really helped. I going to upgrade the system ASAP, kewlcoder..

Hi there, thought I would drop in a note:

you can also set the BIOS to 'Resume on RTC' (under the powermanagement section) for everyday at a certain start time... it works for me...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back