Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power supply and CPU fan won't shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan62

Technical User
Apr 17, 2005
CA
Hi
I have a PC running Win xp Pro with a QDI MOBO in it model synactix 2e. The problem that i have is that once Windows shuts down completly the PSU and CPU fan are still running. I have to turn off the pc by swithching the on/off button at the back of the PSU. I've look into the BIOS (AWARD) and there nothing wrong with the power management settings. I even flash the BIOS to the latest version, i still have the same problem. I've also change the PSU , nothing change.

Does anyone have and idea of what is going wrong ?..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel

I am guessing that it may be a thermal issue. The cpu is running hot and needs to continue cooling itself down even when you turn the pc off. I would leave it running like that and see how long it takes before it shuts down on its own.
If it finally does shut down then you need to look at ways to cool your cpu better. One way would be to get yourself a better cpu fan. If your power supply fan blows outward then make sure you have a case fan in the front at the bottom blowing air inward.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

I agree with Garebo, however some powersupplies keep on going for up to 5 minutes after shutdown. I have two supplies like that. It is also covered in the support manuals for the supplies. In my case it has nothing to do with temperature. They are supplies from different very high quality manufacturers. One is 350 watts cont or 500 watts peak, the other is 800 cont or 1.2 KW peak. The manuals clearly state that the continuing running is a safety measure, apparently more and more high quality supplies have this feature in their firmware. So just wait as Garebo said untill it shuts down.
Regards

Jurgen

Hi both,
Thank you for your fast respond. I followed Garebo's advice by letting the fan run, but not luck . After 2 hours boths fand are still spinning. Could it be something with the MOBO. I've tried to shutdown the PC with the front power button after booting with a win98 boot disk, in oder to verify if the OS was the source of the problem, and no result, fans are still running.

Is there any settings in the BIOS that i missed ???

Keep searching....

Daniel

Sorry, but if its really new tech, im not up on it. What socket cpu is it, by the way?
Best thing to do is to check the motherboard mfgr website, manuals, faq's, email support (ask them), check all you can there and also the mfgr website for your power supply if you can.
YOu can also try google.
Or wait and someone here will give you more info.
I dont know if its a mobo thing or the power supply, or what. Is there a sensor from the power supply going to the cpu at the socket? I believe my enermax power supply has that but i dont use it. I know one of my power supplies has a sensor as well. So it could be your power supply.
Have a look for a sensor line coming from your power supply and see if you can trace the wire.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back