Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Supply 250W ATX warm when plug 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomadtech

MIS
Nov 24, 2003
CA
I have this power supply 250W ATX wich is

1) when plugged into the wall and turned on (the on/off switch) and the pc is at off state the power supply is getting really hot, inside the power supply itself the heatsink are burning

2) when the computer is running, the fan help the heat to evacuate and the computer seems to run perfectly.

3) when the power supply is plugged and turn off (the off switch) its stay cold (normal i guess eh:))

I have tried with another power supply in the same system and the power supply is acting "normally" meaning it stay at normal heat.

so it does appear its the power supply itself who is the problem.

1) i looked the power supply pcb to see if there was any solder wich seems to missing, none.

and since my electronical capacities is really low, i was wondering if theres none who could re-direct to a correct build & tech for those power supply

Ive been trying to find some information over the net and didnt seems to find the correct board.

PowerSupply Details

L&C technology Inc
Switching ppower supply
Model : LC-250ATX

ATX systems are still on in a sense even though they are off. Can't say that I've opened an ATX power supply up and touched it while it was plugged in, it is recommended that it not be open at all due to high voltages stored in the capacitors. My guess is it is a few voltage regulators attached to these heatsinks causing them to get hot. For it to get hot like that is probably normal for that power supply. If it bothers you use a different one.

I should narrow the whole powersupply is hot not only the heatsink, i could "make a egg" on the casing.

that is what i did and im using another power supply for the ccomputer, but as being a bit "maniac" id like to know how to repair it:)

I'd like to thanks ImpetusEra cause he gave me a lead on what to look for.

there is a capacitor who was damage. On an ATX power supply there is a sensor who detect the powersupply température and if the temperature is getting to high, the switch is turned off.

it was that capacitor who was failling, thus making the sensor not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back