Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Settings when Logged off 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

djc2000

Technical User
Dec 1, 2001
US
How do you configure the power management settings that control the characteristics when the computer is ON but the users are logged off.

It seems that the power mgmt features are profiled for each user, and control the power characteristics for each user, when that user is logged in.

I am trying to disable the computer from sleeping during idle when the users are logged off, but the computer is still ON.

Open notepad and copy/paste the below. Save the file as default_power.reg :

****** Begin copy/paste below this line
REGEDIT4

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\PowerCfg
"CurrentPowerPolicy"="0"

****** End copy/paste above this line.

The value ="0" above can be edited to any of the standard profiles:

="0" Home/Office Desktop
="1" Portable/Laptop
="2" Presentation
="3" Always On
="4" Minimal Power Management
="5" Max Batter

After making the edit, double click the merge with your registry. It will take effect on the next restart of the computer.

Sorry, forgot my brackets:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\PowerCfg]
"CurrentPowerPolicy"="0"

Thanks.

This works well.

Is there a way, to add to the script to set the power policy for all the users as well? And just do this in one script?

Power settings are done in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive, and therefore are user and not machine specific.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg]
"CurrentPowerPolicy"="0"

Save as user_power.reg

In the logon script add the line:

regedit /s user_power.reg

I want to use the same procedure as above, but I want to disable the Standby Mode and make it the default for all users and also when the computer is ON but the users are logged off.

The current default setting is to go to standby in 30 minutes. This is also the default when users are logged off. I want to set it to "Never" when all users are logged off and also make it the default for any new users added to the domain.

Do I need to edit the binary values in the power policy stored in the Registry? Which values do I need to edit?

bobolito,

Changed as requested:

Power settings are done in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive, and therefore are user and not machine specific.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg]
"CurrentPowerPolicy"="3"

Save as user_power.reg

In the logon script add the line:

regedit /s user_power.reg

Thanks bcastner. I ended up doing something else: Reinstalled Windows XP from my own XP CD. This effectively resolved the issue. Apparently, Gateway makes some custom changes to XP that I don't understand and nothing else that we do to the registry seems to disable the Standby mode. The computers support a "Suspend to RAM" mode that goes beyond standby and turns off almost all hardware and was causing some undesirable side effects. However, after reinstalling XP from scratch, now the computer behaves as expected even if it goes to Standby.

Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back