Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Server 2 Model 80, TCP/IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryanDavis

Technical User
Apr 17, 2002
US
I am attempting to get an IP connection with a Power Server/2 Model 80. It has an MPA card and Token Ring hardware but no smit (smitty) or rlogin. What the heck do I need to do to get this machine up on an IP connection?

Hello,
What level of aix you are running.

I think it is "IBM AIX PS/2 01.21.w200". At least that is what is on the diskette. I am not sure though.

uname -a # will give you O/S version info
ifconfig -a # will show you network interfaces
ifconfig inet 10.10.10.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 # will give it an IP address

RS/6000 is now called e-Server p-Series

for the ifconfig commands I get "ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface"

ifconfig tr0
ifconfig tr0 inet .....

and what could be the output of

uname -a

uname -a gave an output of "AIX aispx2 1 2 i386"

You may do
ls -lR /dev

it shows two nearby columns like 11,12 (ie major/minor)
devices with major number 11 are those you can touch with ifconfig

if you are running anything older than AIX 3 on anything that is not POWER - feel free to ask General UNIX about older&limited commands

He is using an ancient piece of hardware! You will need to look about many UNIX or AIX sites for info from that time. The PS/2 was, unfortunately, collecting dust when I started in the RS6000 field in 1996. Good luck!

Note the i386 processor. A museum piece. Again, good luck, and let us (or me) know if you get it running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back