Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power reset server/devices, cheap IP power controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

technome

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2003
US
A number times I needed a hard power reset on servers and devices after my RDP failed due to a server or firewall freeze. This device will allow power control of multiple devices over broadband, and/or dial-up modem. 8 controllable circuits cheap ($ 295.00), works great, many options

Ethernet power controller

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I have worked with several versions of this controller and unfortunately must disagree. Despite new versions and upgrades, Digital Loggers' products still have issues that are killers for controlling servers.

Up until the last few versions of the firmware, the power switch responds innaccurately to ARP, and therefore becomes lost behind any switch that depends on knowing its MAC address; I.E. behind anything but a dumb hub.

A nastier issue, that appeared today: there is a "reset configuration" button on the box that, supposedly, does nothing except reset the IP address to 192.168.0.100 and set the admin user name and password back to defaults. This button worked fine, luckily, since it was often needed to restore the box from the dead as far as the network was concerned. That is, it worked fine up until the most current software.

When I used the button afterwards, I found that it now also, inexplicably, turns off all of the power outlets briefly as well, killing all the attached servers! Despite the front panel switches being in the supposedly locked "on" position!

Sorry, they're cheap, but they should still be in Beta testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back