Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfcrescenzo

Technical User
Apr 18, 2011
US
Hello all,
I have a question that is probably a simply one but never quite understood how it worked.
Here is our set up.
Desk phone that connects to a wiring closet via cat 5. Within the wiring closet this cat 5 connection connects to a 110 block.
The 110 block cross connects the blue/whiteblue pair to another 110 in the same closet. That second 110 block connects to the data center via a 25 pair cable to another set of 110 blocks
In the data center this 110 blocks get cross connected to the last set of 110 blocks which are connected via cat 5 to our IP Office modules. These cat 5 connection are split into 4 ports per cable, each pair of the cat 5 has its own module port.

I understand how that all works, my question is where does power come into play here? Does the IP Office supply power to one of the wires in the pair?
While looking this up, I found something called tip wire and ring wire, which might be how this works, but I am not sure.

Any info would be great.
Thanks guys.

Ip phone would get its power from a poe switch or a power brick so this wiring scheme would not work, a digital or analog gets it power from the card it is wired to.

There is no power brick and there is no switch so there is now POE. We are using IP office but not as voip, so i believe it is digital. I thought it was the module card on the module of the IP Office system doing it.

Digital phones receive their power down pins 4 and 5 of the RJ45. The other pins are not used.
IP Phones, Data on 1,2 and 3,6. PoE pins 7,8

Launch Code: Midnight Sun

Thanks, They are digital. There is only the one pair being cross connected and plugged into the module port.
So I think that answers my question. For digital phones the one pair gets it power from the module card and carries it out via pins 4/5.

Thanks all.

Digital handsets are powered from the extension card, which receives its energy from the power supply of the control unit.
The control unit is fed from the power outlet (110/240V) which receives energy from the feed from the energy provider.

Digital handset>Station Card>IP Office power supply> Power outlet> switchboard> sub station> power station> energy source (coal/ uranium/ other)> dinosaurs/ minerals> the sun/ the remnants of the planet Phaeton/Lucifer/Minerva)

Launch Code: Midnight Sun

When the pairs are terminated well then the phone should work and yes powered from the port on the IPO itself.
Please be aware that shorten the pairs will blow up the port!!!

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Hi TLPeter,
What do you mean by "shorten the pairs

That is what i mean :)

BAZINGA!

ah understood.
What would cause a short, the wires crossed or something, like 4 got put in 5 on one end and not the other?

No, touching them together. What you described is a crossed pair and doesn't matter. They usually get shorted when people cut cables without first disconnecting them :)

There are special punch tools where you can punch 10 pairs in one go.
These will cause short circuit for sure.

PS they leave bad markings on a leg :)
When a colleague was searching on 110 blocks very concentrated then it sometimes we used the punch tool to get him awake again :)

BAZINGA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back