Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Outage (restored) but no network connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

jferrante

MIS
Aug 6, 2003
US
I don't know if this is the correct forum, but here goes.

I've got a client that has 6 W2003 servers, plus 1 Unix server and 4- 24 port network switches. The power was out for about 10 hours Saturday night, but is on now. All servers shut down "gracefully" since the APC software worked.

All equipment has been powered back up. All "appears" normal, but only 1 computer out of 70 can connect to the network and internet. The only difference is I just installed a new 24 port GB switch last week. This computer is the only computer plugged into the new switch and can connect. This one particular workstation also has access to all the other servers.

The other 3 switches are 10/100, 1- HP , and 3 Bay networks. Since they are all daisy chained together, what could be preventing everyone from connecting.

I have NOT been on-site yet. I just talked on the phone with the mgr who's there at the moment. I know that I can NOT connect by Remote Desktop or LogMeIn which is installed in all servers.

That tells me that none of the servers are on the internet, but why can 1 PC access them and the internet. What am I forgetting or missing???

I had the manager power cycle everything again, but still no success.

Any and all ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I don't think your issue is going to be host OS related.

You say the switches are all daisy-chained, is there a single link between each or are you running multiple trunks? Can you talk to any of the other switches? Which switch is the gateway connected to?

If you remove the one new switch and cycle the old ones does everybody else work again? Maybe the power cycle forced a trunking protocol re-election and the new switch doesn't play nice with the old ones. Is everything on the same VLAN?

It may be advantageous to switch to a hub-and-spoke switch configuration, using your new higher-bandwidth-backplane switch as the hub.

Marc Creviere

After going to the site last night, I found the Primary DC had gone down again. Dead power supply. After I got it back up, all systems are fine.

Thanks

This is why each network should have multiple DC/GC configured and a monitoring system in place.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Just my two cents worth...after going through similar situations, we use servers with redundant power supplies. They are more expensive but worth it.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

To "DaveToo" and "2ffat".

I agree 100% with both of you. I'm just the independant contractor and this company won't take any suggestions from anyone.

I WILL take their money at double time for 5 hours last night.

Thanks,

Jeff

I hear about this all too often. Amazes me that companys would be so short sited about their business model.

All of my systems have redundant PS, including my lowly Intranet server, and my DC/GC's do nothing else but that. Total cost...maybe $10k...for that amount I sleep well at night (since they don't pay me 2x to come in and fix things! lol)

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back