Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power options in group policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boondy

Technical User
Jan 1, 2003
AU
Is there any adm template files that allows you to modify the power options in a group policy?

I need to set the timer on "Turn of Monitor" from 20mins to Never....

I had the same problem, what I did was login locally go to the local usermanager give the domain user power user rights on the local machine. that gave them the ability to change the power off monitor settings.

LeonBar, could you please explain how you gave power user rights to domain users? I am very desperate need of this facility.

These domain users are set through the AD right??

Thanx, Mohit

I was hoping to be able to do it via group policy, i dont want to go to every pc :(

infinito

Assuming the PC is a member of the domain, open Local User Managment, open the Power users group, where it says add users type YOURDOMAINNAME\GROUPNAME example

MYDOMAIN\Domain Users

this should work

I tried everything to get it to work from the Active Directory but couldn't. All you have to do is login locally not to the domain as the local administrator. Go to admin tools select users. There you can add a domain user. Add the specific user under rights give that person power user rights. Then when the user logs back in to the domain they should be able to set the power setting in the control panel. They will only have power user right over that specific machine. That will also give them the ability to set the time on the computer too. If you need exact instructions let me know.

Leon

For anyone who is interested, I found the way to do this.

If you use KIX for logon scripts then add this:

WriteValue("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg", "CurrentPowerPolicy", "2", "REG_SZ")

It will change the power schem to scheme number 2, which is presentation on XP. the values range from 0-5 and are in the same order as the GUI power options (ie presentation is number 2 on this list of power schemes).

You can also change individual option by editing the binary values in the same reg key.

Thanks a lot EmadT, your second post of Apr 30, 2003 is a major boon to me!!

A major hurdle has now been overcome and my network setup is finally complete. :)

Mohit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back