Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power On Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazerk

Technical User
May 8, 2003
US
Need a power-on password taken off of a IBM NetVista computer.

Have tried F1 during boot-up, F2 and F8 to get into Bios to no avail. Anybody got any suggestions?

Is the F1 key working normally?
Try the escape key or also the F2 key which can also be ways into the BIOS

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Also try the "delete" key. Make sure u try them a few times.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Has the originator of this thread found a solution? If not it sounds like you have been locaked out of the BIOS upon boot becasue some one has password protected it. If this is the case and you are unable to get in you may have a motherboard level option. A lot of times you will find a password jumper on the motherboard that can either be remove and then boot the system once. Removed and placed on another set of pins and rebotted. You may also be able to remove all power including the board level battery unless it is an on the board clock cell. You should be able to call the manufacture while you are at the system with the cover off. If you can ID the board you may be able to ge the answer directly off the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back