Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power on password for IBM 760el.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aashshak

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
US
Does anyone out there know how to remove a power on password for an IBM thinkpad 760el. We have some of these old laptops that were turned into our system department for new laptops. Some of them have these power on passwords and we do not have the passwords for them. Can someone help?

We are using Windows 98 here. But we can't get pass the boot up screen, it won't even let us get on the bios to do anything to system.

have you tried removing the battery? this usually resets the cmos, there is a diagram to find it at

its not hard to find, looks to be under the keyboard on the left side.

make sure to have the battery out and not be plugged in, take the battery out, put it back in, plug in battery and/or power and power on. should reset the cmos to a blank password. any other settings will also be lost, such as boot sequence, numlock on power, and memory reservations. Nothing should really be changed though since this is a laptop.

On the IBM Thinkpad 760xd, the power on password POP can be removed by removing the battery and CD/Floppy and placing a jumper on the POP connector to the left of the floppy drive connector. Instructions are in the PDF volume 4 hardware and maintenance manual downloaded from the IBM website.

Hi, here is the link to the vol4.
regards Michael

ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/mobiles/vol4hmm.pdf

Just got an old IBM Thinkpad 760EL laptop. I got both the floopy and CD-rom. but no manual for it. Anyone know how to swap them? I don't want to just rip into it without a clue.

Just got an old IBM Thinkpad 760EL laptop. I got both the floopy and CD-rom. but no manual for it. Anyone know how to swap them? I don't want to just rip into it without a clue.

Hi...follow the link for the MM above. Page 248-> will show you how to remove and re-install your drives.
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back