Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power off when shutdown in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

adfk

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
SE
Hello!

How do I make the power go off when i choose shutdown in windows?

Because the power is still on when I shutdown XP and I have to manually press the power off button to turn it off.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I have tried to change the registry but it still doesn´t work. It restarts when I press shutdown and doesn´t shut the power off.

I have run into a similar problem and ended up disabling the Advance Power Management. You might want to check in the BIOS too. Though right now, my system will automatically power up in the middle of the night. I have no idea what is causing it to do it.

"D"

I don't know if this has been suggested or if you have tried this, but it worked for me. I found this solution at The author suggests that the APM setting is not enabled. To enable, right click on my computer, go to properties, select hardware and click device manager. Then click view and then on show hidden devices. You should see the NT ATM / Legacy Interface mode with a red cross on it. Double click it and on the screen that appears at the bottom choose enable from the drop down menu. Your PC should now automatically switch off on shutdown. Good Luck, hope it works for you too!

slick12

Any suggestions for a system that automatically and randomly powers on?

"D"

slick 12 - good idea... do this, but also make sure the similar setting in BIOS is also enabled - i inenvertantly found i had to also re-install XP. Now it works on my machine.

dtorres - You might want to check settings in BIOS, such as Power on call, power on LAN, Power on Time, ect.

HTH

Dan ----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

In that same registry section, there's an item called 'AutoRestartShell' - anybody know whether it's safe to change the value? I'm hoping it'll prevent auto-rebooting if I set it to zero...[ponder]

I cannot find this NT / APM legacy symbol with red cross in the device manager.

Ok... try going to control panel, power options, then somewhere in there (either tab or button) should be APM if its enabled in bios and windows. Then if you can find it, turn it on.... if you cant dont be surprised, i couldnt either.

In that case, go into your BIOS (if you dont know how to do this, post back and usually somebody will know the type of BIOS and tell you how) and then find a setting for APM and enable it. Hopefully when you go back into windows then the APM setting will be available to turn on.

From what i understand that usually works... mine didnt. A While after this, i was having hardware problems and i re-installed XP, and bingo, the option was there and worked.

The one thing i cant work out is 98Se never had this problem... even though i hadnt changed any BIOS settings before installing XP.

HTH

Dan ----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

When you are in the device manager window, did you click view and be sure to check "show hidden devices"? What you are looking for is hidden.

slick12

Is this a new computer that keeps restarting when running XP or did this problem start when you installed XP on a new system you built or on a system you updated. XP tends to restart if it has a problem with an incompatible software program. Roxio's Easy CD Creator has been know to do this and older versions of the software (created before XP) needs to be patched or your computer will just keep restarting when you try to shutdown. Other software and hardware issues can also cause this. It's possible you will have to restore your PC to an earlier time or to redo it entirely if you cannot find out what the problem is. Then install each program and driver one by one in order to find out which one is the culprit. As for the computer that starts in the middle of the night, you probably do need to go into the BIOS and disable the Wake On Lan feature and maybe the PME Event Management. Also, just for the heck of it, I'd also disable the Wake on Modem Ring feature if you don't use it.

Dtorres-

Check your BIOS settings for "wake on LAN." or "wake on XXXXX" Disable them if you don't want or use them.

-b

check for a metal contacting the motherboard. if it is a random startup then it is not the the Bios, If it starts at the same time everynight then it is the Bios. remount the Motherboard to the case. you might have a bad ground?
is the power stable going into your house?
install a UPS and see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back