Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Mac Dual G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

psymonj

Programmer
Mar 31, 2005
GB
I've been looking into getting a Mac system for some time; I ventured in a few years ago with a iMac G3 (the table-lamp model).

I have the offer of a, seemingly, cheap Apple setup: a Power Mac Dual G5 tower with 3GB RAM and a total of 750GB storage. A new dual-layer DVD burner has just been fitted and there's a 20" Cinema display and OS 10.4 (boxed).

All of this for £550.00.

I'm not entirely clued up on the Apple way but I do know that the G5 is a fairly old CPU.
I'm wondering if this setup is likely to last me a little while in the grand scheme of things?

I don't chase the cutting edge, won't be using the latest Adobe products or play any games. Realistically, I'd like to use Aperture and/or some incarnation of Photoshop.
Ableton Live 7/8 (requires G4 or higher) and a browser, FTP client & text-editor.

Would anyone recommend going through with the deal? It'll certainly be a step-up from the Atom 1.6 Netbook (Compaq Mini700) I've been using.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Simon Clements-Hawes

That would be about the price they are selling for here in the states. Can you get in front of the computer and work with it for an little while to see if there are any glaring problems.

Without seeing the box, I'd say it isn't a bad deal and if you are not expecting it to be rendering video or running CS 4 I don't think there is anything wrong with the deal.

The tricky thing is you never know when a peice of hardware is going to fail.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

Thanks for the reply Twist...

I'm assured that it's all in working order - buying anything second hand is always going to involve taking a risk though!

I know it was recently serviced and had the memory replaced, the 250gb drive replaced and a new DVD writer fitted so I guess that leaves the logic board and GFX card to be potentially die on me lol.

Thanks for the tips - I'm picking it up tonight (hopefully).

Simon Clements-Hawes

I'd stay away from any G5 or earlier. The simple fact is that newer software - all designed for Intel Macs - my not work or work poorly. It doesn't mean much to get a machine if you cannot get proper software.

I don't know what new macs cost new in the UK, but you might look at a base iMac. It's a pretty powerful machine.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Apple has announced that the next release of the OS - "Snow Leopard" will not run on the Power PC machines, only those with Intel CPUs. (which means my G4 Mini is now an orphan!)

So 10.5.x Leopard will be the newest OS you can install on it. Get to the store before they stop selling it.

Chip H.

The OP states that they plan on running CS3 - a fairly resource intensive program that does run well on a G5. I wouldn't really recommend running it on a iMac - have seen it done and the user is usually not happy.

In a ideal world the OP would be buying a new Mac Pro and CS4 - in this economy, if you can get a good deal on an older, well maintained box, it's something to consider.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

I run CS3 on an Intel iMac and it's no problem at all. Runs better than it does on the Dual G5s we have here.

All I've heard about CS4 has been frustration - on any CPU/OS.

That said, I wouldn't buy the G5 (even though it's a very good machine) for the compatability reasons previously mentioned. Then again all hardware becomes obsolete and some old hardware is still very useful.

I'd be inclined to point out these facts and make an offer of around £400 and go up to £450 - you never know. Of course, if you really want it and YOU feel it's worth the full asking price then it's a good buy.

Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back