Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power lose and DAG reseeding advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlh1

MIS
Mar 26, 2001
US
I have some question and need some advice

I have two exchange 2010 sp2 servers one in our corporate environment and one in our DR environment.
All was good and the servers would failover whenever needed and then I could bring the database to the corporate environment.

That was until the hurricane Sandy hit us, we lost power and internet connection for 7 days in the corporate environment.

This caused the exchange to failover to DR and everything worked. I noticed that after several days the exchange log files were starting to fill the drive. I started a backup of the DR server to commit and clear the log files but discovered that because the second server in the DAG was down the log files would not clear. After power was restored I started the exchange server in the corporate environment and found that the database was in a failed and suspended state. After reading for a while it was determined that I would need to reseed the database in the corporate site.

Now my problem and where I need advice.

The database is 342gig and to reseed the database would take a very long time, and if the link between the two servers goes down I would have to start again.

My thoughts

The exchange server is on a VM host if I move the Exchange server that needs reseeding toe the DR site can I let the reseed happen at its own pace when it finishes move it back to the corporate site.

Can I make a file backup of the database in the DR site and restore it to the corporate exchange
If you can think of other option I would like to hear them.

Thanks
John

What I would do is follow the guidance here:

It says at the end that you can dismount the DR site database, copy it while it's offline, then remount the DR-site database. Then move that copy you made on portable media back to your production site and copy it on to the server. You'd have to carefully examine the process notes, since you need to do some other specific simple things as part of the process.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back