Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Issues - HP Storageworks Nas 2000s

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpascone

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2012
I replaced both power supplies on this unit but I still can't get it to do anything. The LED in the most upper-right-hand-corner which looks like a sine wave with a frame around it is red, I believe this "internal health".. Inside the unit there is a green LED by the "AC power is connected". What are my next moves for getting this going?
Thanks!

Are there any amber LEDs on the inside? They usually point toward the issue.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Negative on the amber light but I am noticing the only green inside is the AC POWER CONNECTED light. Not sure all of the LEDs are supposed to be green indicating that specific piece of hardware is "OK"? Maybe a clue?

Okay, maybe you should give a little background on how you're using this.

1. Was it ever working?
2. What server/controller is it connected to?
3. What led you to replacing the power supplies?

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Yes, was working great up until last week. One of the guys who works for me said it just stopped working, he took out both power supplies and they "smelled bad", strong electrical gone wrong scent. We had suspected one of the power supplies was already bad which is why I replaced both.
It's an HP Storage Works NAS 2000s
0304nashpstorageworks.gif
(PID 345645-001)
Could it be the power converter module (PID 309629-001)? I assume this is next in the chain after the power supplies?
Thanks for your assistance.

I don't know if it will help or not, but one thing you could do is to see if any amber lights flash (inside) on power-up. I thought they were suppose to stay lit if the system maintains power, but I could be mistaken.

That's why I am thinking it the power converter. It goes power source to power supply, I have a green LED in that region, then power supply to converter which unfortunately doesn't have an LED, past the power converter I am not getting any LEDs. There are a series of LEDs soldered directly to the motherboard which are flashing some sort of sequence.

Yeah, hopefully that will fix your issue and it doesn't go into the system board.
Good Luck.

The red light you are talking about is the internal failure warning light.

If you connected the new power supplies and everything turns on (server, power supply lights, internal alarm, etc.), but the server itself isn't booting, it's quite possible that the failure damaged the old power supplies, the power module and the motherboard.

Try replacing the power module first, then try again with the new power supplies installed.

MasterWorks International
HP Authorized Distributor and Reseller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back