Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Failure time log file

Status
Not open for further replies.

chongkf

Technical User
Sep 16, 2002
MY
I am using AVAYA S8700, is there any log file at Lynux i can know when the power failure happened to the server.

After power fails, the server shuts down, so log files can't be written to.

After a server starts up from a bad shut-down, the server can't really know what caused the non-standard shutdown. (Power failure? Crashed hard drive? Corrupt OS?)

So, no. Server's can't really tell you if the power fails or not.

You'll need something like a UPS that can connect to a server to tell the server the status of commercial power. When the commercial power fails, the UPS reports this to the server that it is keeping alive. With the correct control software installed, a server can even be gracefully shutdown by a UPS before the batteries run out.

In this case, log files can be created to give you a report of the server's shutdown, and the reason it was.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

On the S8700 Maintenance Web Pages you could look at the View Restart Causes. Another area to investigate would be the fact that the S8700 is constantly writing to certain log files. You could look for a gap in these files. This would indicate a power failure/power down. View System Logs and see if any of these help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back