Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power button function

Status
Not open for further replies.

panathinaikos

Technical User
Feb 17, 2011
Hello to all.

I removed front cover of an HP pavilion m8030f desktop.Unfortunately the power button was decomposed. And now I cannot put them back . Does anyone happens to know the correct joint of that?

If so it would be appreciated any help.

Thanks

Power and reset buttons are what the call 'momentary' switches. When pressed and released they only make contact briefly then disconnect (unless held)
You can simulate this by just brushing the two contacts together briefly and then leaving them parted.
The sort of action you would get with a door bell switch when pressed and released quickly.

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

First, let me say, that if your power button is truly decomposed, then you've got one weird machine. I've yet to actually SEE a power button decompose.

On the other hand, if you mean that basically the power button was stuck pushed in, then sounds like you may have a bad switch - or part of the case is making the button stick. Another possibility could be (depending upon how the power switch is built of course) is that the spring in the mechanism may have gotten worn out or off track.

And when you say you need to know the correct joint of that? Sorry, but I can't follow that one at all. I can guess you mean "how do I properly align things so the power switch works", but that's just a guess.

Another possibility could be that you got something sticky in there, and that made the button stick.

I know I've seen all the above possibilities, thankfully not often, but I have seen them. Sometimes, things just break as well..

Post back with more clarity on your question for a better answer. [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back