Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

power button broken off on laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scontron

Technical User
Mar 31, 2006
KR
Hi. I have a Toshiba sattellite laptop computer, but the power button got loose. I used to be able to turn the computer on with a narrow pen knife, but I think I dislodged part of the switch mechanism because now when I ttry to turn the computer on, nothing happens.

I'm in a pretty remote place, does anyone know how I can turn my computer on?

I'd be looking for a button or stub of such as minute as it may be to push.

DO NOT STICK YOUR FINGER OR ANYTHING OF METAL IN THERE!!!

Use a pen or something. None the less, your switch will have to be replaced.

Usually, on MOST LAPTOPS (maybe not yours) that plastic piece between keyboard and screen is a snap-fit, you can try to GENTLY pop it out and have a look at that circuit board you will need to replace. The actual switch mounted on the PCB is usually quite tiny.

I would email Toshiba support and ask for a disassembly manual. Once you can see that circuit board it will identify the part # of what you need to replace. I did exactly this with my Sony camera, the circuit board plugged in with a ribbon cable. The whole circuit board was maybe $50.

Best of luck!

Tony

I have the same issue with an old Satallite at home, where the power button stuck and eventually broke. I have popped the case open to take a look at the actual button, which is small and has a rubber cap on it. I used a pen for a few months to turn it on, which eventually ripped the rubber bit off. Now I leave the laptop on, as it will take me about 10-15 minutes to turn it on otherwise.

You will not be replacing the motherboard just for this tyny switch. Unlike the small card that was $50 in wahnula's camera, this switch is on the motherboard, and the cost of replacing it will run you about the same as picking up a cheap new laptop at Circuit City (figure $700 if you sent the laptop out and had the motherboard replaced).

What you may want to do (as I should do, since I'm in the same boat but too lasy to do it), is look on ebay, used stores, etc., for another Toshiba laptop that is the same model as yours. If it's cheap enough, buy it and use your old one as parts. If it doesn't work and real cheap, buy it for parts to fix your laptop. I recommend you do this soon though, as once that little rubber bit pops off, a new button probably won't help, and resoldering a new switch on a motherboard will not be fun.

Jarrett

I have managed to turn the computer on and save some photos and stuff, but to do so i have to do a lot of work with laying this broke-off square metal piece with a circle cut out in the middle over the power button dot and briding it to another piece o broke off metal with a metal safety pin. The lapop stays on all the time and i can't move it.

I think another computer is my only option. crud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back