Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

!power alarm on hipath 3800 SNMP trap

Status
Not open for further replies.

juldal

MIS
Jan 26, 2005
DK
Hi,

on HiPath 3800 V9

I get a lot of alarms on !Alarm power on and !Alarm power off

h150eErrorDescription.1 = ErrorClass: 21; Number 28;

Error class 21 number 28 is described as:

21-028
!Power Alarm on
Emergency battery operation due to power outage.
Check line voltage.

Note battery capacity.

There is 3 LUNA PSU in the system.

Is one of them failing?,

I have never had any irregular restarts or problems with the power of the system. Only the alarms.

kind regards

Juldal

Questions unrelated to the system:

Do you see any recurrence in the errors? Do they tend to happen at the same time of day, or same day of week, or same time of month?

Do you have the system on a battery backup/UPS?

I have had problems in the past with some brands of UPS devices. They do a regular self test that includes dropping the load onto the battery to see if the battery is still running within spec. If the battery starts to fail you will get alarms on the UPS. If you silence the alarms on the UPS with a mumbled "yeah, I gotta order that battery one of these days" long enough, eventually the battery will fail, and when the system drops the load over for its self test the connected equipment will experience a power interruption until the UPS switches back to line. This isn't always long enough to cause the equipment to reboot, but it can show up on an alarm report...

Just a thought.

There is very little information on to what the error consists off.

The system is on a TriMod 20 UPS system

There is no battery pack in the 3800 only the 3rd LUNA as a redundant psu

maybe the UPS system makes some sort of selftest, but i my perspective, the UPS system is designed to allways give the correct current, and thereby avoid any "flip flop" in the power network.

the times for the errors are not consistent "same dates or times"

I am thinking to either connect the 3800 without the UPS for a time period to see if the error goes away, og to replace the LUNA´s from the 3800.

I was referring to the battery in the UPS, and also specifically referring to my own encounters with an APC SmartUPS 1400 on a Hicom 300 system. The battery was failing it's self test and causing the alarm beeper to go off every 2 weeks for some time. I had the users at the site told it was OK to silence it, and I had meant to get around to replacing that battery. Eventually, every 2 weeks at 2:00 PM on a Friday or Monday (I forget which) the system would reboot - that turned out to be every time it tried to do a self test with the defective battery still inside. I replaced the battery and haven't had issues since....

So, assuming you have your redundant power supply plugged in to a different power source than the rest of them (maybe not on the UPS or something) it is theoretically possible that a glitch in the UPS is causing the problem without bringing the whole system down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back