Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powechute Business edition 7.1 won't detect UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

crutch006

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2004
GB
Hi

I recently have had a few issue with power at a remote site and decided to install the above software to monitor/eliminnate the UPS.

I have an APC Smart UPS connected (via serial) to the server (W2K) with the agent and server software installed.

The problem i have is that during setup Powerchute provides no option to detect or add a UPS via any other method than USB.

Ive tried to add manually through the console after installation but this provides a network lookup method.

I'd love to use either a USB or network connection method but my model of UPS doesn't have these ports.

My gut feeling is a simple comms issue between UPS and server, would I be able to select Serial cable if the equipment was setup ok?

Has anybody had similar issue or know of any fixes etc,

Or, is there anyway to check comms between the equipment through W2K?

thanks in advance guys!

Crutch

seeking equality for goats

Are you using a APC furnished serial cable ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

thanks for the reply

yes, yes Iam..

ta

I guess you are using the right cd also ... I once mixed up my cds and tried using a cd that came with a UPS XL series on the Smart UPS and it didn't work. Try downloadinga new version. I think the latest one I got with a new ups was 7.02.

Try downloading another version of Powerchute Business Edition.

Also make sure that you install the agent,server and the monito console!!!!

thanks for the replies people!!

ive downloaded the latest version and checked the compatability with my UPS (thers actually a nice chart on APC website)

agent, server and console all setup as should be.

ive tried the same install on another UPS on local server with no probs so i'm leaning towards a problem with the UPS rather than my own stupidity :)

after further power problems today (UPS kept the server powered for around 0.05 seconds) i'm gonna switch out the whole damm thing and try again

thanks again for the post ladies and gents!!
i'll update when i get the new UPS runnin

cheers

You might want to try the open source project APCUPSd instead of powerchute, and see if it works.

I know you said that the UPS doesn't support USB or Ethernet, but I just thought it important for others reading this in the future, that if you plug a USB cable in, the serial port is disabled untill you restart the UPS -- so if you try USB and it fails to work, you have to restart the UPS before you try the serial port.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back