Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Potentially speed up form operations dramatically 55

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgoodman00

Programmer
Jan 23, 2001
I posted a question a few months back regarding forms being slow to load. I have now found the reason (in my case) for this, & it is not what I expected.
I am using Access XP, but I believe this also applies to Access 2000.

Find the slowest loading form in your database & load it. Time how long it takes to load.

Next goto Tools-Options & select the General tab. On this tab there is an option group called 'Name Autocorrect'. If this is enabled, disable it.

Reopen your form. In the case of every database I have tried, this speeds up loading several times over!

It seems strange how this option can cause such a performance loss though... James Goodman

Wow! Did this help me.

Thanks

Steve

What a great tip !!

many thanks

Simon

You don't the handle jgoodman for nothing. By doing this my forms and just all around application speed increased at least 50% if not more.

So correct me if I am wrong but what this feature is for is, for example, you change a query name and if a form is based on this query it automatically changes there as well?

I just need to know. If this is the case then in development I want it on but in the production environment it will not be needed. Remember the Past, Plan for the Future, yet Live in the Now for tomorrow may never come.
-etrain

That would appear to be correct, & I guess your idea of enabling it for development, then disabling it for production makes good sense.

I checked the microsoft site, & they make no mention of this performance degradation in using it. However, it appears to be affecting sufficient numbers of people for it to be more than a quirk... James Goodman

What a great find. I have MANY databases I built that open slow, but not no more... THANKS!!!!

That is exactly what this property does....

Access keeps a record of name changes you make to your objects. When you open an object and the NameAutocorrect is enabled, Access checks this record and makes changes to itself as necessary. This is what causes the slow down.

By disabling this feature, you don't to wait on this check....but just watch out for any changing names..... Robert L. Johnson III
robert.l.johnson.iii@citi.com

Does anybody know if this feature exists in Access 2000? I can't seem to locate it if it does.

Nino

Access 2000
Under Tools...Options...General (Tab).. on the right is a box that says
Name Autocorrect... uncheck the appropriate boxes

:p Cool Tip !!!

<MeGaHuRtZ>

Access does not allow to create a continuous form contains
a continuous subform. I want to create this kind of the form which can add / edit data. Is there any way to make it?
Thank you very much for your helpQ

George

Numerous therads are down with the same question
User keyword to locate it

Does anyone know if this feature is in Access 97?
Pat B

There's another reason for not using Name Autocorrect (with Access 2000).

There is a bug in Access 2000 which causes the printer settings for a report to revert to their defaults when the &quot;Perform Name Autocorrect&quot; feature is enabled. To make things more insidious, the problem only occurs the second time the report is previewed.

The document at the following address, on the Microsoft Support site, explains it all:

The quick fix is to uncheck &quot;Perform Name Autocorrect&quot; (Tools, Options, General Tab). The permanent fix is to download Office 2000 Service Release 1/1A (just a small 20mB download).

bustell,

It started with Access 2000. From Access help:
Code:
Name AutoCorrect is on by default in databases that were created with Access 2000. However, for databases converted to Access 2000 from previous versions, you must turn Name AutoCorrect on.

It appears that the option to turn this feature off disappears once you replicate your Access 2000 database. :(

James, thank you so much. I have been working, slowly, on this database forever. My first major database. I tried to be very descriptive when I made my tables, forms, reports, etc. Then recently I came across a Tek-tip FAQ saying NO SPACES in names. Too late. But, I was afraid to go in and change them because I did not know if it would automatically change the name in my queries, reports, etc. that were linked to that form. Before I go in and start doing some major changes, I want to clarify the following is correct, please:

If &quot;track and perform name autocorrect&quot; boxes are both checked, and I go and change a table name, the three queries I have referencing that table will automatically know to go to the new name, and the same for reports, labels, control buttons, etc. Thanks for your help and what a wonderful tip to share. Janet Lyn

Janet,

I have not relied on Name AutoCorrect deliberately, but I have observed it to work as expected. The only places I'm sure it doesn't work is in code. It's supposed to work just about everywhere else.

There's not much risk in trying it out to see how well it works. Just try changing the name of an object, then go hunting everywhere you use it. If it catches them all, you've got your answer. If it doesn't, you can rename it back--everything it caught the first time should be caught on the rename as well.

If you decide to try it, let us know how well it works.

Just one caveat--and this is for everyone. I believe the process of correcting references occurs the first time the object containing the reference is opened. If you have renamed an object, you must open every object before you turn off Name AutoCorrect, or you're liable to have some references not be corrected when you send your database out to the field.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Rick, I went in and changed all my table names to no spaces and the fields inside the tables. I then went to my queries to see if they were any good. Some queries worked fine, others did not. The bad part is that when they did not, the did not keep the old query with the bad names, instead changed the &quot;field reference box&quot; to an expression where your field name would have gone. After changing about 6 queries I said forget it and went back to the original with the bad names. I also went in and just corrected field names (such as ProjectNo) and went to a query and again it was messed up.

The objects are not a problem because I have been naming them correctly. However, in another thread, judge wants me to tests some code for a problem I am having and the code requires me to enter a field name:

me.Project # as string or something like that with Project # being my field. I tried putting brackets [] and quotes &quot;&quot; around the field name and the code does not like it. How can I reference the field in code? Or, am I going to have to go in and change all my fields to no spaces, period. Thanks for the help. Janet Lyn

Janet,

The bracketed version, me.[Project #], should have worked as a reference in a form or report module, to a field in the form or report's Record Source. Were you enclosing the whole thing in brackets, i.e. [me.Project #]? Or was this in something other than a form or report module, perhaps?

As a rule of thumb, anywhere you can put a table or column name, you can put a table or column name surrounded by brackets. Likewise for a query, form, or report name.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Okay, it works now. Guess I was doing the brackets around the whole thing. Thanks a bunch and have a wonderful day. Janet Lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back