Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PostScript Printer Errors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMB

MIS
Apr 2, 2001
US
Every once in a while, we have a published applcation that will generate a PostScript timeout Error.

This application did not do this when it used to run outside of the Citrix Environment.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

What is the application, and how was it installed on the Citrix Server?

Thanks.
The app we run is very unique to our environment. It is our School administration program which was developed by a company here in our local area.

I brought in a company to take care of the initial install of Citrix and the app.

I am not sure of how the application was installed. I am very green with Citrix. I am learning as I go.

Check that it works via a terminal server login. If it does not, then the issue is with the evnironment.

If the application is not working correctly, and you paid someone to set it up, then I would suggest that they have not done their job properly - could you get them back in?

I assume that this happens during printing - what printer do you have?

Good Luck!

Funny, you mention the part about bringing them back in. I am somewhat displeased with the work they did so I have just decided to take it on myself. They want me to purchase another support contract because they ran down the first 40 hour support contract working on the problems I am trying to work on now. I dont feel I should reward them with another $126 an hour support contract when I am still having problems associated with the initial install. They should make good to a point where this Citrix box is stable.

Do you feel I am correct in this situation?

The printer is an HP LaserJet 4050.

We are using PCL5e.

Thanks.

Can be a dodgy one here...

With regards to the support and commisioning...

If you commisioned the Citrix installers to install a Citrix server and enabling you to connect to published applications etc, then, they could well have done that...

However, if that included installing the application and ensuring that it is available to each client and doesnt fail, then obviously they have not completed that task satifactorily, however... I would be VERY surprised if they commited to that level on SOMEONE else's application that has/has not been proved to work on Metaframe, but hey, if they said they would deliver, then you may have a case, I thought you guys thrived on sueing each other anyway (heh sorry j/k, cheap shot from a Brit...)

Certainly sounds like printer issues rather than the application itself however, (in which case its effectively a Terminal Server issue not application issue with regards to having it fixed) have you tried the printer with any other applications ?

What is this application exactly ? is it an Access database ? or some other application ? how/what/where was it written. All infomation you can provide will help.

Hope this is of some (remote) use...

Steve Marshall
Group IT
Technical Support Supervisor
(aka General Meddler)
The Expro Group
Reading
UK

If there were problems with their initial installation, it seems a little unfair to me that you should have paid them to sort out their own mess!

Sadly I've seen this sort of issue many times - including the first time I got involved with Citrix products :-(

While you're suing them, let's see if we can't crack this one ;-)

Rather than using the 4050 driver (known to be flaky), try the 5Si driver.

How is the printer set up? Is it bound to an LPR port on a printer server?

As Nostferatu says, the more info you can give us here, the more likely we are to be able to help solve it.

Hope this helps.

The application is very unique to our environment. Only one other school district runs this application under the Metaframe environment and they do not experience this problem (that I know of).

The application is very unique here it goes: The program is written in RPG, It uses a piece of software I believe called "Baby 36" by California Software which gives you the ability to emulate a System 36 on a PC. So this program operates in a text "green screen" environment.

The printer is installed on another server, using a jet direct port.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back