Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Postscript font not found!? Font missing! Dunan and Trojan where r u?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevef22

Technical User
Sep 20, 2005
US
All was going fine untill I reinstalled my photoshop 8CS. Now I get the error message pictured below when I try to inport my PostScript. Its looking for the one and only font the PostScript uses, Helvetica. I dled all the Helvetica fonts I could find and dumped them into my windows/fonts dir but no luck.

I remember now that Trojan and Duncan told me that Post Script doesnt even use the windows fonts directory. How do I fix this error? Anyone have Helvetica in a PostScript format? What am I missing here?

post.gif

LOL!

Calm down Steve, I'm here!
hehehe
I'm sure Duncs will appear soon too. If I speak to him I'll let him know that you need some help.

Yes, I think it was I who suggested that Postscript does not use windoze fonts.
I do believe, however, that it does support Helvetica directly. I am surprised that you are having problems using Helvetica.
This is really a question more for Duncs than for me.
In the mean time, i'll see what I can find out for you.

Trojan.

I dled all the Helvetica fonts I could find and dumped them into my windows/fonts dir

This is probably the cause of your troubles. If taking your wording literally, this is the wrong way to use fonts.

1) You should not download several Helvetica fonts as their internal font names may conflict with others. Use of multiple fonts using a similar family should be handled with a font management application.

2) You should not dump them in Windows/Fonts. Use the File menu of that folder to install the fonts. Ideally, use a font management application

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

Try this and see what it does:
Code:
%--------- Define Procedures -----------------
/vpos 720 def              % vertical position variable
/word (Typefaces) def      % string variable

/choosefont                % Stack: typeface-name
 { findfont 15 scalefont setfont} def

/newline
 {/vpos vpos 15 sub def    %decrease vpos
   72 vpos moveto } def    %go to that line

/printword                 %stk: typeface-name
 { choosefont              %set font
   word show               %show "typefaces"
   newline } def           %go to next line
%---------- Begin Program --------------------

72 vpos moveto             %vpos starts as 720
/Times-Roman           printword
/Times-Bold            printword
/Times-Italic          printword
/Times-BoldItalic      printword
newline
/Helvetica             printword
/Helvetica-Bold        printword
/Helvetica-Oblique     printword
/Helvetica-BoldOblique printword
newline
/Courier               printword
/Courier-Bold          printword
/Courier-Oblique       printword
/Courier-BoldOblique   printword
newline
/Symbol                printword
showpage

Trojan.

Jimo, perhaps your right, i will delete all my fonts and only place Helvetica in the windows/fonts directory. Trojan, your awesome dude, will return results first thing tomarrow. Im away from the bad pc right now. On this pc w/ Photoshop CS8 everything works fine. Now I know you dont have to have CS29.0 for the post script to work. Its something locally on the pc. Anyway, ttul

I get this parser error Trojan. I saved your code as a .ps PostScript doc and tried to open as I normally would.
Whats the problem?

tt01.gif

tt02.gif

Sorry dude,
Dunno what that's all about.
The postscript I gave you was not something I wrote, simply something I found with google that I thought might help you.
Don't let it distract you from your problem if it doesn't work.
I spoke to Duncs today and mentioned that you need some more help and I'm sure he'll get to you as soon as he has a spare minute or two.

Trojan.

Hi Dude

try adding this little bit to the front...

Code:
[b]%!PS[/b]

%--------- Define Procedures -----------------
/vpos 720 def              % vertical position variable
/wo...

Kind Regards
Duncan

Wow, looks like PostScript is not reading any of my fonts. This is very odd.

Hi Steve

It is - partially

Symbol is O.K. - you have just lost Times & Helvetica

Strange ...

Unfortunately this is not really a Postscript problem - and i am not particularly knowledgeable with Windows - i will ask a couple of colleagues for you

Good luck

Kind Regards
Duncan

Thanks Duncan. Ive been looking on google all day. No luck.

My CS29.0 Tryout ran out. I found my old copy of 8.0CS so I figured they were pretty close. So I uninstalled CS29.0 and installed 8.0CS. I have uninstalled 8.0CS twice and reinstalled it. No luck. : (

sa.gif

I took my fonts from one pc and loaded back up on the bad pc. No luck again.

Trouble is Steve that Duncs and I are not windoze people.
Duncs is an Apple MAC guy and I am a Unix/Linux guy.
Your problem appears to be a windoze problem (not that they every happen of course!!!).
Maybe someone more windozey can help you.

BTW: Did you ever try knoppix?

Trojan.

Hi Steve

Really sorry to see this happening to you... but as Trojan says, we are not Windoze-savvy. Try posting this font problem on a Windows o/s forum - i reckon you will get a load of feedback. Good luck.

Kind Regards
Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back