Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Postscript error when printing PDFs created in Acrobat 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

northben

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2008
US
When I try to print a PDF to the Acrobat PDF printer, I receive the following error log. The letters and font name following "offending command" vary depending on the particular PDF that I'm trying to print. I'm using Acrobat 9 Pro on Windows XP Pro. TIA.

[blue]
%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
%%[Page: 1]%%
%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: EOTASJ+ArialMT ]%%

Stack:
false

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
[/blue]

If there are any vertical text boxes, try removing them. Also, sometimes trying a different font helps.

"Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted."

I don't think it's a text box problem -- It also errored when I tried to print a page of Google search results. It is able to print a PDF to PDF for simple text-only documents though.

On another machine with Acrobat 8 Professional, it can print a PDF of that document from Acrobat 9, so it appears that Acrobat 9 simply does not like to print some of its own PDFs.

I installed CutePDF Writer and it showed a similar error. That is, print Google search results in Firefox to Adobe PDF, open that PDF document and print to CutePDF -- the error is printed in the new PDF.

Anyway, I was originally trying to print a PDF to PDF in order to make a document greyscale. Turns out, it wouldn't convert to greyscale even in Acrobat 8, so all of this is now irrelevant. If it is a bug, hopefully it will be fixed in a patch.

try to print by clicking file - print, but in the print dialouge, click on advanced and choose "print as image", then click ok, and print.

Please don't print a PDF to another PDF. This is known as re-frying and produces very bad PDF files.

In Acrobat professional there is a tool called pre-flight that is capable of doing many conversions, please check it out.

Samaba,
Preflight did the trick. I was able to convert a color PDF to greyscale.

I didn't know about 're-frying', so I will watch out for that in the future.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back