Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Postresql with Arcserve 11.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekro

MIS
May 21, 2001
US
Hello,

Has anyone found a way to use Postgresql as the arcserve datadase. My VLDB is about 7Gb and I'm having a hard time keeping running. The VLDB tools from CA seem to take forever and scew things up more.

Thanks,

Joe

At 7gb in size those utils could take a day or two to finish if you are lucky.

believe me I know. the tools are useless. CA claims VLDB database scales to 36gb. I can't maintain it at 7GB. Crazy. I backup TBs of data. I need to keep the file info online at least a year. We don't use MSSQL and I was hoping to avoid it.

Any other thoughts before I have to buy and maintain another system?

Joe

You should set up a shell script that will run a dumpall to a backup directory, and back up the backup directory.

I think you can call it as a pre- job but if not, use CRON to schedule it to run just before the backup is scheduled to run.

Think you missed the point. I'm not trying to backup a postgresql database. I would like to use it for the backend database of Arcserve instead of VLDB or Microsoft SQL (only option for 3rd party DB on Arcserve)

I do successfully backup postgres databases with Arcserve. The largest is about 40GB.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back