Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Posting files to a computer on the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

anders75

Programmer
Nov 13, 2002
SE
Hi,

I would like to develop an app that lets users post files to a computer on the same network. Do you know of any good api for this?

I'm thinking about using a p2p api, but I believe that most of the p2p applications around are built for file sharing, not file posting.

Anyone has experience with this?

Thanks,
Anders

There is an API Function called CopyFile. It copies a file from one location to another. One cold use VB's FileCopy Statement too. Its easier to use than the CopyFile API Function.

Thanks,

I think I will have a try with this CopyFile (either API or function).

But the thing is that I rather would like to do this in a very controlled manner. I have to use authentication to be able to write to this specific server. Also, I must be able to know exactly when the transfer is done, ready.

Any viewpoints on this?

Regards,
Anders

Although being a tad more complex than simply copying the file, you could use the Winsock API and combine these with Events to provide you with notification. Another approach is to use ActiveX and setting up callbacks between the server and the client. One drawback to this is that you'll have to install the server component of your application on the server machine. If you don't have access to the server to install your components on, then please ignore this solution. But, just so you know about the possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back