Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PostgreSQL 8.0.03 Windows Install on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pji64

Programmer
Jul 12, 2005
US
Hello,

I was installing the Windows version of PostgreSQL 8.0.3 (I am running Windows XP Home) when I got to the screen that asks for a password, I left if blank and went to the next screen. I decided to go back and change it but now I get "Account error. Invalid username specified" and can't even install the program. I searched Google and found this person with the same problem...

The suggested solution is to delete the account and start over. The problem is, I cannot find the account to delete it. Can anyone tell me where I would look to find the account and delete it?

I've already gone to Control Panel/System clicked on the Advanced tab and then clicked on the User Profiles section and postgres is not listed there. Is there someone else I can look?

Thanks in advance!

Right-Click on the 'My Computer' icon, and select "Manage". You should be able to find the users and groups for the computer in the MMC (microsoft management console).

Look under "users" and find the account. Delete the account, uninstall Postgres, and reinstall. You may have to install Postgres under a non-administrative account. In other words, setup a user with admin rights, then install Postgres under that account.

Also, very important, make sure the Postgres account has rights to launch services. If you don't know how to do this, you will need to look up how to do this. Check your user policies for that option.

Gary
gwinn7

Thank you for your reply.

When I do that, I don't see any options on the MMC window for Users or Groups. I'm using XP Home.

I only see:

System Tools
Storage
Services and Applications

Each of these has some options under them but nothing to do with Users or Groups

Oh Phrack! Yes, that was what I was afraid of. Need XP Pro, not Home!

Gary
gwinn7

I don't have an account here - using bugmenot. However I thought this might be valuable for some as I've had the same problem as stated by pji64 and wanted to share it.

Upgrading to a new machine that has XP Home, I tried installing PostgreSQL 8.0.4. In haste, I omitted the password and thought I'd go back and change it. Hmm, "invalid username specified".

gwinn7's suggestions should work on XP Pro, but Home lacks the GUI's to fix the problem. However, Home still has the functionality - at the command line.

Just enter "net user <username> /delete" (default username being postgres) and try reinstalling Postgres - setting the password this time. Hopefully that should fix the problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back