Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Postgres 7.2.1 under Windows NT 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leland123

Programmer
Aug 15, 2001
US
Hi,

I have downloaded cgywin using the setup program. I installed most of cgywin including postgres 7.2.1. However, I'm having trouble configuring postgres and getting it started under windows. In particular I'm having trouble having postgres build the template1 database. I login to windows NT 4.0 using the postgres username and password. Then I start cgywin. At the $ prompt I type the following:

initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

The above command results in a number of files and directories being created and initdb displays on the screen each directory and file created followed by ... ok, but it always hangs when trying to create the template1 database as follows:

creating template1 database in /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1 ...

When I click on the task manager and check the performance page frame, it indicate that 100 percent of the CPU cycles are being used and that the process is running. I've waited to a reasonable period of time for the process to complete but it never gets past creating the template1 database. Can anyone shed some light on what might be going wrong.

Leland F. Jackson, CPA
Software - Master (TM)
Nothing Runs Like the Fox

Hi HIH,

Thanks for your reply. I finally came across a link to a step by step readme file about how to do a Windows install of postgres. I installed postgres according to it and I have it working now. I wasn't able to get it working completely as a NT service, but I can start it in the cygwin command window. What I was missing mainly is I didn't know that the cygwin IPC Daemon had to be started before starting postgres.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Leland F. Jackson, CPA
Software - Master (TM)
Nothing Runs Like the Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back