Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Postfix newbie guidance needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezplan

Technical User
Dec 11, 2003
US
I'm setting up a mail server for a small office using Redhat 9. I started out wrestling w/ sendmail but after reading some postings here decided to give postfix a try.

I used the tool in RH9 to switch the default mail service from sendmail to postfix. Initial setup seemed to go ok and users on our LAN can receive email when they connect to the server with Outlook Express, but sending seems to die at the server.

The mail server is on the LAN side of a Netopia DSL router.

Our ISP provides us with a "multidrop mailbox" which our server "pops" and downloads. When trying to get sendmail working, I had set up a fetchmail session to run as a cron job every 30 minutes. As I said, downloading/receiving seems to work, but in the logs I'm seeing a complaint that "another fetchmail session is running as a foreground service". Is postfix running its' own fetchmail session ? - I didn't see anyplace to configure that in the main.cf file?!?

On our LAN the mail server is simply called mailman. In the postfix main.cf some of the settings are as follows:

myhostname = mydomain = ourwebname.com
myorigin = $mydomain
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain
mynetworks_style = subnet
relay_domains = $mydestination
relayhost = smtp.ourisphost.com

Any comments or suggestions on any of this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi,

When you do a netstat -an do you see port 25 open?
If yes, try to telnet to that port and the same time run tcpdump in your interface to see what is happening.

[]'s
Anderson

Thanks for the responses!

andybrr - netstat does show port 25 open. I'm unclear on the telnet. I telnet'd to 127.0.0.1 25 and it responded with "postfix esmtp" and our virtual domain name. Did you mean to telnet to the ISP's outgoing mail server?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back