Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

post WinXP SP2 installation (on XP Pro boxes) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMO6

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
US
The enabling of the firewall is a good thing although every computer I use & manage is already behind a dedicated firewall of some sort. So, I had to go around and disable it as my WinVNC quit working as well as ICMP & FTP.

One thing I need to get rid of though before the support calls come flooding in:

Print confirmation balloon. Now, after every print job a print confirmation balloon pops up in the lower right-hand area of the screen. The 'balloon' is very similar to the one that pops up if you have automatic updating enabled. I could really give a $#|T less about the confirmation but one of my high maintenance users has already b|tched about it. The sooner I can shut her up the better, please help! XD

I'm tempted just to let this user stew as she is the type of end user that knows just enough to be dangerous & piss me off from time to time.

'squeaky wheels get oiled'

SmAu6

Open the Printers and Fax wizard.
File, Server Properties, Advanced
Uncheck the notification selection boxes you want.

SMO6:

'squeaky wheels get oiled'

"If it squeaks too much, it often gets replaced

Well, she is leaving for maternity leave soon. Unfortunately she probably won't be replaced & replacement is easier said than done.

Is there any way to do this for an entire organization? The option under the print server properties "Show informational notifications for network printers" can be turned off individually, but is there either a Group Policy object or Registry change or command that will disable this?

Need to disable this for for ~50 users and I'd love not to have to run around or send out instructions.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

:) -Andrew

alien.gif

[TAG]
anongod@hotmail.com
"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

Open notepad and copy/paste the below as a file to be saved as no_printer_notes.reg

*********** begin copy/paste below this line
REGEDIT 4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings]
"EnableBalloonNotificationsRemote"=dword:00000000

*********** end copy/paste above this line

You can distribute .reg files in any convenient manner. Attach the .reg file to an email message, add the appropriate command to a logon script, or use any other method you're comfortable with.

For example, a logon script could be:

net use t: \\server\share_name
regedit /s t:no_printer_notes.reg
net use t: /delete /Y
net stop spooler
sleep 5
net start spooler

Where \\server is a server with the file share \\share_name containing the file you made above with copy/paste.

Note: The spooler needs to be stopped and restarted for the command to take effect. The "sleep 5" above is to give the spooler time to stop before restarting.

After a day or so, edit logon scripts to remove the change.

Perfect!

Exactly what I was hoping for.

Thank you!

:) -Andrew

alien.gif

[TAG]
anongod@hotmail.com
"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

I can't tell, but there may be an inadvetant space in the first line of my .reg file above.

It should be REGEDIT4 and not REGEDIT 4

Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back