Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POST failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

VulcanJedi

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
US
I have an INTEL BOXDQ77MK
Not much on this server but a windows install from a SSD
sometimes either after boot or any other power down situation, I will get a failed perpetual rebooting, and 3 beeps during POST
Intel RMA'd the board. But I have run memTest for like an entire wknd w/ no problems.
Typically if I remove some of the RAM the boot problem goes away but then I get tired I'm not using all my RAM. So I have 4 2GB sticks. Problem seem intermittent.
No other HW except cpu/mobo/ssd/ram.

2x CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core

Your user manual suggests that 3 beeps is indicative of a Memory error.

One of your memory sticks , or one of the slots may be faulty.

The only way to find out, is by testing the sticks in the different slots. Or trying them on another known to be working compatible machine. If they fail there too you know its one of the sticks.

With memory errors, trial and error is all you have.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Another physical test you may can try is... see if one stick of RAM is hotter than the others. If it is, try removing the others, and see if you get the same issues... and try running other memory tests, don't just rely on memtest... just like anything, one program may find something another did not. There's one called Gold somethinganother that I don't remember the full name of right offhand. I know I've seen at least 2 or 3 diff memory testers out there..

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back