Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Post Access 2000 Conversion from Access 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

finny

Programmer
Nov 16, 2000
US
I have encountering an error after converting an Access 97 database application to Access 2000. Trying to sum it up, the user will open the app and click on button that says "Process Spreadsheet". In the old app, it works fine and brings up Comdlg that allows user to select excel file the want to work with. After the conversion, when the user clicks on the "Process Spreadsheet" button, they are taken to the first line of code sort of like there was a breakpoint there, but there is no breakpoint. Hopefully this is something easy that I'm missing and any help would be appreciated.

Another Access 2000 question is, why does this newer version open separate windows on the task bar for the db window, each form that is opened and the code when it breaks? It seems like it wants to run in separate processing space. Maybe that is a check somewhere that I'm missing.

Hopefully these are basic Access 2000 things that somebody knows where to click. Thx in advance for any help.

finny

Hey finny - the first place I would check for a problem would be your Refrences. Make sure you have the Excel reference is checked and that you don't have any broken or missing references.

Hope this helps - Shane

I've seen the "phantom breakpoint" bug several times. There really IS a breakpoint set there, though it doesn't show and you can't reset it the usual way. You can verify this by single-stepping (F8). This seems to happen when you do something like compile the project with the breakpoint present and then close the database, or something like that. I haven't really figured out the conditions that cause it.

I think you can fix it by forcing a recompile of the procedure. Just highlight the entire line where the break occurs, cut it to the clipboard, and paste it back. Then compile the project. You may need to close the database and reopen it, too--I don't quite remember, but if you tinker with it you'll clear the problem.

The multiple-taskbar-buttons effect occurs with Active Desktop installed. It's controlled by Tools|Options, on the View tab, Windows in Taskbar. I suppose it was meant to make it easier to access forms when they're maximized (since you can't click on a form beneathe the current, maximized form). I wish MS hadn't made this the default, though. Rick Sprague

Shane & Rick,
thx for your insight.
Shane, all my references are available and correct, so that's not the problem. But thx anyway.

Rick,
I'll try to recompile and see if that works. Re: the active desktop, my machine was using the windows classic desktop and it was still occuring. I'll look a little further into it to try to find a resolution. I'm wishing MS hadn't made this the default either. Since all of my forms are modal, the user can't get them anyway!

Thx again guys...finny

Have you tried the reference for DAO 3.6? I have a few dbs that were created in 97 and then run from 2000 that have had the behavior you describe. That reference is sometimes left unchecked. I usually check it and move it up to the third spot in the list. A+, N+, MCP

Choctaw,
Thx for the tip. However my DAO reference is checked and third on the list. I'll go back to the drawing board!

Thx again...finny

What version of Excel are you referencing?

8 = 97
9 = 2000
10 = XP

Check that you are calling the correct one for the user.

AccessMoron,
My company just upgraded to Windows 2000 and Office 2000 from Windows NT 4 and Office 97. I am referencing version 9 for excel. I didn't specify that version, so I guess during the conversion, the references where updated also.

Thx for the thought though...finny

Ahh! The invisible breakpoint! Open the code module make any little change including adding or removing a space. From the debug menu select 'Clear all break points' compile and save your work. Enjoy the wonder of Microsoft quality!

To prevent every form you open from showing up in the toolbar, go to the Tools menu and select Options.

The view tab has a setting called Windows in Taskbar. Unchecking that will prevent every form from appearing in the taskbar.

Good luck!

tman138 & levinll,
thx for the tips. I will try them out when I get back to the office next week...finny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back