Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible Virus or Router problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.

vchiu81

Technical User
Jul 18, 2003
US
I'm not sure exactly what is causing the problem, but I was thinking that it could be a virus. After I step away from my computer and it goes on stand by when I return it will no longer have any internet connection and when I try to send email it will say "server not responding". In order to get my connection back I need to restart the computer and boot it up again and then it works fine until it goes back to stand by. Is this a virus or just something wrong with my router or ISP?

search for MSBLAST.exe in your system32 directory

have you scanned the machine with your installed AntiVirus detection software?

"After I step away from my computer and it goes on stand by..."

next time it happens, open a dos command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" - post the results here (or in the TCP/IP forum: forum581).

It could be a networking issue; ipconfig will list the current networking setup.

also, try and ping the router's IP address.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Thanks...I will try that tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back