Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

possible to use powermac G3 with a pc display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjoensuu

MIS
Oct 22, 2001
US
Hi all,

I am planning to purchase a used G3 powermac, and wanted to use it with a PC lcd display screen. Does anyone know if the G3 can be plugged directly to the pc display?

Or does it require an adapter or software to work with the display?

thanks!

I THINK a beige G3 uses the Apple DB-15 and willl need an adaptor, while the Blue & White g3 will be VGA

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

ok, thanks for that info.

The description for this Mac does actually state that it is "VGA compatible". AND it indeed is blue & white. Would this mean that it is PC display compatible?

cheers...

Yes the B&W will take a PC display as a direct plugin. I've got one running that way right now.

Just a note.

A display is a display. It's neither PC nor Mac nor anything else.

What matters are the connections available on the display and the device you are connecting to it.

Standard connections might be:

VGA - supported by all PCs since I can remember and Macs from Blue & White G3's onwards. I think some older Powerbooks might have had VGA output but older macs tended to have the slightly larger DB-15 connection that required an adapter to convert to VGA.

DVI - Newer digital connection. Good quality LCD displays use DVI. Modern video cards have DVI output, some have DVI and VGA. DVI gives a cleaner, higher quality image as it carries a digital signal. Again it's possible to use adapters to convert DVI to VGA and vice versa (with loss of quality).

RGB connections - Common for high quality TFT monitors. Basically the Red, Green and Blue signals (and sometimes a Sync signal) are sent through separate wires. These connect to the monitor via Phono style plugs. A monitor with this type of input normally also has VGA input(s).

<honk>*:O)</honk>
Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web site design in Cheltenham and Gloucester
Earl & Thompson Marketing - Marketing Agency Services in Gloucestershire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back