Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible to use IDR to migrate to new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

natashiakk

Technical User
Sep 2, 2003
SG
We have an old Compaq server running Windows 2000 (2CPU RAID 5) to be migrated to a new IBM xSeries (2CPU RAID 5). Is it possible to use IDR method to migrate the server. If yes, what are the point , tips and tricks I need to look up for?

Any suggestion is very much appreciated.

As far as I'm aware it should be possible, taking a full backup and creating IDR boot disks for the server you're going to restore to.

However, I've been trying to get this working on Win2k Server's, and the boot disks do not seem to work, they start the Windows install... as they apparently should - but at some point the IDR wizard is supposed to kick in but it does not, and Windows keeps happily installing till I have a fresh copy of Windows Server and no restore.

If anyone has any ideas why, please let me know... I do get the IDR splash screen when booting off the IDR created boot cd saying that 'if you are testing the boot media, it is working ok - remove the disk and reboot the pc, if you intend to restore then press return' etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back