Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible to turn off undeliverable response email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kklegman

MIS
Nov 14, 2003
US
We have novell 6.5 running groupwise 5.5. We use Gee Whiz to filter out for spam. Our system does an auto response undeliverable email on email addresses that it doesnt find a match for in our system ie: incoming email of "xxx@abc.com" and our system looks for xxx.xxx@abc.com. Is there any way to turn off the auto response for undeliverables? I'm asking because apparently the return of undeliverables to the sending email address is causing our email ip to be blacklisted for spam. Thanks!

Kim

I have the exact same problem. I thought in the GWIA config (under SMTP->undeliverables) if you checked the postmaster and move to problem directory directory that it discarded the message. But it still sends the undeliverable.

Have you found a solution - or can someone offer one?

R.Sobelman

Apparently all email systems are required to send auto undeliverables. The problem occurs in how to weed out the spam that is generateing/spoofing legitimate addresses. I ended up going to the blacklist site and getting our ip removed but I havn't found any way to eliminate the problem from recurring.

Kim

What about in the "Groupwise/Internet Agent" Optional Gateway settings change the Outbound Status Level to None. This should stop the status message from been sent to foregin domains.

The problem is that it will also stop legitimate "user unknown" messages from been sent

Michael Gillen CNE
Hersh Goldsmith s.e.n.c.

The outbound status does not seem to stop the undeliverable reply. It only turns off read, delivery related notification.

Any other ideas?

R.Sobelman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back