Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible to revive win7 earlier system restore points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
I have a friend who accidently erased system restore points by a program that thought will optimize his laptop's performance by several things including gaining more space by removing system restore points. There is now only possible to return to 19.05.2013.
Is there a software that can bring those files back?

Why do you need the old restore points?? If the computer is running fine, it shouldn't matter.

Well............ You could use GetDataBack trial to see if you can see the files. If you can see them, you can usually recover them. It's not free but there are other free alternatives. Look at this thread for other suggestions:

Don't do anything else to the hard drive to avoid data loss. Slave the hard drive and install/run the recovery tool on the host computer NOT the hard drive to be recovered.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes the pc is running fine, but just wanted to be sure that he can recover to a certain time where everything was fine, as I am not sure if the current situation is better than the previous ones.
I have looked at that thread and the links they provided, but I can't get the impression that these softwares can actually revive windows system restore points.
However I'll give them a try and see if I can get those files back.
By the way, how are those system restore files shown if one of those mentioned softwares can detect them?

It's in C:\System Volume Information and it is protected folder, so if you recover files from the hard drive as a slave, you might have to take ownership of that folder to be able to put them back in there.
Here's a view into that folder.
Yes the pc is running fine, but just wanted to be sure that he can recover to a certain time where everything was fine, as I am not sure if the current situation is better than the previous ones.
Well, which is it??? Running fine or previous situation better???

Honestly, if the computer is running ok, I wouldn't even mess around with this idea. It's just not something to fool around with because windows manages that folder.

Thanks again.
The pc is currently fine no sign of slowness, crashes, or any unusual behavior. However I am not %100 sure how it was functioning previously and I suspect that optimizer has done more changes that might cause damages in the future, as he can't remember what else the software has done to his laptop, thats why I want to get to those restore points and reach a time before he installed that software.

Ok, but not sure that A) you will be able to restore them or B) it's a good thing to do. But give it a shot.

Maybe if you check out the actual Optimizer software itself it may have an Undo or Restore function? Invoking such an option might be an option but it would need to be done before any uninstall.

If your friend is into Registry Cleaners and Optimizers he is also in to Backups?

Most new machines come with a recovery partition allowing you to go back to the time of purchase, you will have to check your user guides for instructions. Choosing that path requires you to save all valuable data first.

@Linney,
That software doesn't have an Undo or Restore function, to rule back the work it has done.
He has taken backups of his files and the softwares he is already running on a portable hdd.
Thanks for the tip for the recovery partition, I'll have a look into it.

It seems that the software has done some damages, installed Revo uninstaller to remove some unwanted programs and noticed that the program doesn't create a system restore point (in its setting it is enabled), even though in Control panel I can see that it is enabled.
Is it possible that the registry has been modified as Revo uninstaller can not create a system restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back