Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible to recover unix backed up data on NT platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturnali

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2001
TR
Hi all Legato friends,
I have a problem and hope you'll give me valuable advices.
Currently we are using Legato Networker Server 6.01 for Sun Sparc Solaris. And we're planning to transfer Legato Server to NT platform for a couple of reason.What I would like to ask is whether I will be able to recover old backups which was taken on Unix platform through NT.

Yes you will be able to move your networker server to another OS.

Networker saves the data in a Open Tape Format and is not OS specific. [MS, UNIX, NETWARE].

As far as I know NT writes data in 64K block size, whereas unix 128K. Would it cause any problem?

I was Talking about the backed up data. [to read the exiting backups from your new networker server, UNIX to NT].

But you will not be able to recover UNIX data to an NT box.

You should be able to recover your UNIX data regardless of which OS the server runs, as long as you perform the recover from a UNIX box. You cannot, however, perform a so called cross platform recover, that is, recover the UNIX files to an NT box.

Hope this helps!

// Matts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back