Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible to poll for SNMP traps

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoma

Technical User
Apr 8, 2004
US
I know that I can configure a device to send its SNMP traps to me. I need to be able to poll this device and get the traps when they are generated without configuring the device to send them to me. Is this possible? I can't seem to find a way to do a Get on an SNMP Trap OID.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never heard of that being possible. The trap is very specific (using port 162) and is send to a management address when a threshold is exceeded.

Don't know if there is any propriatry vender solutions that "saves" the trap in the devices until it is polled for.

As far as i know it is not possible within the specs SNMP V1,V2 and V3
good luck
Robert

Robert Wullems
Technical Instructor
SCM/CNX/MCSA/Network+
If you can Sniff it, you can solve it!

spoma,

Just being curious. Why would you want to do that?...

InDenial

I did not think it was possible. I know that you can not do a get on a Trap OID. I was hoping maybe someone had some ideas on something that could make this work.
Reason for this was so that SNMP device would not have to be configured to send traps to me.
Was just looking for a work around.

spoma,

I am asuming you are getting too many traps you do not want and you can not set the level of those traps lower cause you might not see other traps wich in turn you DO want to see. If so...I can relate to your problem. We have wireless devices and every time someone walks past such a device with a wireless device it gives four traps.

we had two options...

1. filter the traps somewhere
2. Or just turn of traps completely and only go with syslog

Since we have many different types of hardware and different types of tooling to wich the traps must be send we set up a trap/syslog collector. On this collector we filter the traps that have to be forwarded. So we went with solution one. The good thing about this is that although you do not see the traps on your management station you do have the traps. If you might want to do some troubleshooting and want to see the traps you can still look on the trap collector.

I hope this gives you an idea for solving your problem...

InDenial

Since UDP may drop messages, some vendors have a series of private OIDs that are used to check for dropped TRAPS.
ie. check out the private MIB.

Some vendors define a current Alarm table within their mib. For instance if you look at the RFC1628 it has an current alarm table. This table contains all of the alarms current on a UPS. Its trap definition defines to traps that are sent for every alarm. An alarm trap/condition added to table Or a cleared trap/condition removed from table.

Any how if you walk this table you in a way get the current traps/alarms on the unit.

Good luck!

You very well get all the traps on the device even if you miss it.

This is only possible if the device implements RFC 3014 - Notification Log MIB.

As mentioned by "leaf" some devices do have an alarms table implemented but there you can get the current alarms traps not all the traps (irrespective of whether they are alarms or not).

If RFC 3014 is implemented you can get it all!

HTH!

- Amit

I believe some vendors refer to this as SNMP V2 Informs. The device sends you a notification that it has a trap(s) waiting for you on the device. The NMS would then go and retrieve.

V2 Informs may be based on RFC 3014 as mentioned by Amit above.

I know that it is implemented in newer IOS versions for Cisco routers/switches and works quite nicely with HP's NNM.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back