Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible to make a GUI? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefRPT

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
US
I made a few reports and was wondering if it is possible to make some sort of GUI(interface), perhaps where I could have buttons for each report. I just want it to look nice, rather than give my user 10 different files, where they have to go and open each one individually. At this point, it's all about presentation. Any comments or ideas? Please Help

Hi jefRPT,
The thing you are looking for can be done using macro in Impromptu. Though I can give u the code but its too long to be written here and I think you should refer to it yourself.
Go to documentation for Impromptu. Open the pdf for macros. In the last chapter you will find sample macros. There is a macro named Open Report. Read it and modify the .mac file as per your requirement.

The macro file will be in <your drive where u installed Cognos>\Cognos\cer1\samples\Impromptu\Macros\Open Report.mac

Cheers,
Amit

Hi,

I have used html pages to create a basic menu system.

As my web page design is not that good, I use Word to create tables and enter hyperlinks to the reports in the cells.

When activated, the link will ask if you want to open the file from its location or download it. The file should be open from its location.

The link uses the fact that imr files are associated to impromptu to launch the application and show the report.

Hope it helps

Kevin

I know it's very noddy, but we use the portfolio tool, and simply place launch buttons for each report. Cognos, upfront can also be used as a portal for all reports etc.

Cheers,

Adam.

I used portfolio to make a menu:
2 Question...
About the portfolio tool, I was wondering, is it possible to save it under &quot;View Mode&quot; instead of &quot;Author Mode&quot; so each time you open it up, you wouldn't have to switch to &quot;Author&quot; for the launch buttons work?
Also, is it possible to set it up so when you open the file, only the &quot;menu&quot; I made shows up (like a form from vb) instead of the whole program (portfolio) openning? Thanks again everyone.

To open Portfolio in View mode. File Menu -> Properties, startup tab, there is an option there to start in view mode.

I don't know if it is possible to show just the menu at startup, however, it is possible to remove all of the toolbars, contents bar etc. Go to the view menu, uncheck all of the options, save and reopen, the toolbars should now not be visible.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Adam.

Thanks everyone for all your help!! :-V

Amit- My &quot;Open Report.mac&quot; got corrupted some how. So I didn't even get a chance to try out your method. But as soon as I get the software cd back, I shall reinstall the file and try it, Thanks,

Kev-Thats a great idea. When I finish everything completely, I might put it on the web so the users can access it with ease. Such an obvious answer but I over looked it. Thanks

Adam-I decided to go with your method. I never used portfolio before and it's a nice tool. It gets the job done, and that's what I'm going for right now. Thanks

Sorry all, but one last question:
Adam,
When I go to the startup tab I see a check box for: &quot;Start in Full Screen View&quot; but nothing for &quot;View Mode&quot;. In other words, When I open up the file, its opens up in a full screen (which is good) but it is still in author view. (Now I have to restore the regular view go to file, change to View Mode, and then go back to Full Screen View.)
How can I accomplish this through Porfolio, do I have to change anything in the &quot;*.ini&quot; files? Please advide.
Thanks in advance

When in Author mode, go to preferences. Then within the startup tab there is an option 'Mode'. It has three options, Author Mode, View Mode and Show action Dialog box. Simply check view mode then save and close,l re-opening will start in view mode. Just to clarify, we are using Version 6.5 portfolio. You do not need to touch the ini file at all.

Cheers,

Adam.

Thanks!!
X-)
As I'm sure you already guessed by now, I'm extremly new to this software. Thanks for your patience. Take care all!!
Jeff

Keep in mind that I am using Portfolio:
Anyone know why, each time I launch a report, a new instance of Impromptu is opened up. Which means the user has to enter the user ID and Password all over again. Any one know how I can make it open multiple reports in one instance of Impromptu rather than a new instance for each report?

Jeff,

There are 2 one-time-only commands which can be run to change the mode impromptu open in. By default, impromptu will run in multiple instance mode.

From start...run type in

a)for single instance:
&quot;C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer1\bin\ImpAdmin.exe&quot; /si

b)for multiple instances:
&quot;C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer1\bin\ImpAdmin.exe&quot; /mi

Running in single instance mode should open each report in the same instance of impromptu.

The only drawback to this, is that it needs to be done on each machine which will be running the reports. If a standard install has been performed on each machine, write a simple batch file with the command line in and run it on each machine.

The command line only needs to be run once, with all subsequent attempts to open impromptu using the chosen instance type.

Kevin

Kevin,
I tried this, but it only opens up the first report. In other words. Once I change it to &quot;si&quot; and launch a report in portfolio, the first report(which ever I choose) opens up w/o a problem. Now when I try to open up a second report, it takes me back to Impromptu with the first report (which is what we want), and stops there, it doesn't open any more reports, judt keeps taking me back to Impromptu. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I've tried putting two report buttons into a portfolio book, and got the same result as you, one report open up ok, the other does not. I have not found a way around it.

I have tended to keep away from portfolio as it does not look nice and can have variable results, eg macros don't always run correctly unless actioned as a command line.

Sorry I can't be more help with your problem.

Kevin

[Refering to the last two responses]
Does anyone know a solution to this problem, or is it my best bet to go another route? Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back