Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible to Link to "View Latest Instance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgpeters

Technical User
Jun 22, 2006
US
I'm using CR/CE 10 with an Oracle db, direct connect.

I have a summary report in which I would like to include links to detailed reports. I have included them as on-demand sub-reports and while this technically works, my users get frustrated by the time it takes for them to run.

Can I have these on-demand sub-reports as entirely seperate reports and then include links in the summary report to view the latest instance of the detail report(s)? If so, how?

Thanks,
Mark

Yes. Via the hyperlink tab of any object on the report.

read 0 18144939

One issue with this solution is that it uses reportid's that are created when a report gets published to CE10. If you have a dev and test environment then the report id's will differ from dev to test.

You either need to modify them each time you promote them or create a formula containing reportid in each report, use the formula in your hyperlinks so that you only have to edit one report id each time a promotion or republishing takes place.

This worked, to a degree. I was able to put a hyperlink in to another report on the CE server and it worked fine for me. Other users (with the same perms as me - Full Control) were not able to use the links. They always got the following Crystal error:

Retreive Error
There was an error while retrieving data from the server: Not Authorized

Any suggestions?

It is definitely a permissions problem.

What type of user authentication are your users using to logon to CE? The issue may lie outside of CE that is, via your web server security perhaps. Which web server are you using?

They are using Windows NT authentication and I THINK the server is running IIS (I'm waiting to here back from the server admin on that).

OK. Two things to try.

Ensure the users have the same or sufficient permissions to run the "hyperlinked" report as your user does.

Test this by getting a user to navigate directly to the hyperlinked report and try running it directly from ePortfolio. If they can run it directly, then it eliminates CE10 security from the picture as being a possible cause of the problem.

They can run it directly from CE. You mentioned 2 things to try, am I missing 1?

OK. You previously mentioned:

<<This worked, to a degree. I was able to put a hyperlink in to another report on the CE server and it worked fine for me. Other users (with the same perms as me - Full Control) were not able to use the links. They always got the following Crystal error:

Retreive Error
There was an error while retrieving data from the server: Not Authorized>>

So as a result of the other users being able to directly run the hyoperlinked report from CE, we've eliminated CE security from the equation.

This leaves NT Security.

There is something different about your NT account and your users NT account in relation to how IIS permits access to URLs.

Find this out and you should find the cause of the problem.

I'll dig in to that and see what I can find.

One other thing that I neglected to mention is that if the hyperlink is to something outside of Crystal, then the both I and the other user can successfully access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back