Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

possible to enter data into specific row/field box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedsHelp101

Technical User
Jul 18, 2006
US
Hi,

I'm trying to write a code that:
1- Uses DLookup to find a value based on a criteria (which happens to be the primary key)
2- Check if this value is null, and
3- If it is, insert a value into a table from a textbox on a form.

The thing is, the table is already created, so I'm not adding new records to it, I'm just filling in blank boxes.

I can do 1. and 2., but is 3. possible?
Thanks!

Yes, it is. You could use a recordset. For example:

Code:
'Not real code
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

Set rs = CurrentDB.OpenRecordset("Select * From tblTable Where Field1 Is Null And ID= " & Me.txtIDNumber)

'Or you could:
'Set rs = CurrentDB.OpenRecordset("Select * From tblTable Where Field1 Is Null")
'but the next bit of code would have to change

If Not rs.EOF Then
   rs.Edit
   rs!Field1=Me.txtField1
   rs.Update
End If

Or you could use SQL:

Code:
'Field 1 is numeric
strSQL="Update tblTable Set Field1=" & Me.txtField1 & " Where Field1 Is Null And ID= " & Me.txtIDNumber
'Field 1 is text
strSQL="Update tblTable Set Field1='" & Me.txtField1 & "' Where Field1 Is Null And ID= " & Me.txtIDNumber
'Field 1 is a date
strSQL="Update tblTable Set Field1=#" & Format(Me.txtField1,"yyyy/mm/dd") & "# Where Field1 Is Null And ID= " & Me.txtIDNumber

DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL

Thanks for the suggestion, Remou.
I'm using
Code:
'Field 1 is a date
strSQL="Update tblTable Set Field1=#" & Format(Me.txtField1,"yyyy/mm/dd") & "# Where Field1 Is Null And ID= " & Me.txtIDNumber

DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
and it keeps breaking at DoCmd, saying that the variable is not defined... I'm not sure what DoCmd is anyway..

Add .Value to your textbox field references.

Me.txtField1.Value
Me.txtIDNumber.Value

Ok, so here's my code:
Code:
strSQL = "Update tblMasterNames Set FirstUse =#" & Format(Me.boxWeekBegins.Value, "yyyy/mm/dd") & "# Where FirstUse Is Null and MasterName=" & working.Master1.Value
     'strSQL1 =
     DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
boxWeekBegins is the text box on the form,
MasterName is a field in tblMasterNames
Master1 is a field in the table "working",
FirstUse is the date field that I want to be updated.

When I try to run this code, before updating, the form asks me to enter parameter values, which I shouldn't have to do... what's going on?

I do not think that value will help much in this case. You cannot refer to a field in a table as above, that is working.Master1.Value. You need a text box on your form or else you need to Dlookup a table to get Master1.

It is not DoCmd that is the problem, it is the SQL. One good way of testing SQL is to use the immediate window to get a copy of the line (debug.print strSQL) and paste this into the SQL view of the query design screen.

Before Update is not a good evet for this sort of thing.

You will find that DoCmd is very useful indeed, if you look at some of the things you can do with it (F1).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back