Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible to declare a variable inside a select statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven74

Programmer
May 30, 2001
CA
Hello,

I've got a stored procedure that builds a dynamic SQL satement and then assigns it to a varchar variable.
I would like to know if if's possible to declare a variable from within a select statement. I keep getting the 'Incorrect syntax near the keyword Declare' error.

For example:
Code:
DECLARE @myStr varchar(1000)
SELECT @myStr = 'SELECT A.test1, A.test2, (DECLARE @tmp INT  SELECT @tmp = (SELECT B.test3 FROM B) CASE WHEN @tmp <> 0 THEN @tmp ELSE (SELECT C.test4 FROM C) END) as myResult FROM A'
EXEC (@myStr)

I tried moving the Declare (@tmp) to the beginning,

Code:
SELECT @myStr = 'DECLARE @tmp INT  SELECT A.test1, A.test2, (SELECT @tmp = (SELECT B.test3 FROM B) CASE WHEN @tmp <> 0 THEN @tmp ELSE (SELECT C.test4 FROM C) END) as myResult
FROM A'
EXEC (@myStr)

but it then gave off an incorrect syntax near the keyword SELECT error (referring to the SELECT @tmp). Same thing if I changed it to SET.

I know I could just do:

Code:
SELECT A.test1, A.test2, 
	Case When (Select B.Test3 From B) <> 0 Then
        	(select B.Test3 From B)
        Else 
		(Select C.Test4 From C)
        End As MyResult
FROM A

But basically what I'm trying to do is use the @tmp variable to avoid having to run the statement (Select B.Test3 From B) again if @tmp wasn't empty (in hopes of speeding up the query). The statements are only pulling back one record, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I hope that makes sense. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Just do it this way:

Code:
SELECT A.test1, A.test2,
    Case When B.Test3 <> 0 Then B.Test3
        Else C.Test4
        End As MyResult
FROM A
	CROSS JOIN B
	CROSS JOIN C

Zhavic

---------------------------------------------------------------
In the 1960s you needed the power of two Comodore64s to get a rocket to the moon. Now you need a machine which is a vast number of times more powerful just to run the most popular GUI.

Thank you for the response.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't completely clear. When I wrote the nested select statement 'Select B.Test3 From B', I should've actually written 'Select TOP 1 B.Test3 From B Where ...'. So unfortunately I can't use the method you provided.

That's why I'm trying to use the @tmp variable, to avoid having to run the 'Select TOP 1 ...' again.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Draven

OK,

At first, using subqueries in select list will always be slow.

You should use this:

Code:
SELECT A.test1, A.test2,
    Case When B.Test3 <> 0 Then B.Test3
        Else C.Test4
        End As MyResult
FROM A
	CROSS JOIN ( SELECT MAX( Test3 ) AS Test3 FROM B ) AS B
    CROSS JOIN C

Zhavic

In the 1960s you needed the power of two Comodore64s to get a rocket to the moon. Now you need a machine which is a vast number of times more powerful just to run the most popular GUI.

Also to your original question.

This way it will work, but it always be slower than one right written select stament

Code:
SELECT @myStr = 'DECLARE @tmp INT  SELECT @tmp = (SELECT B.test3 FROM B) SELECT A.test1, A.test2, CASE WHEN @tmp <> 0 THEN @tmp ELSE (SELECT C.test4 FROM C) END as myResult
FROM A'
EXEC (@myStr)

Zhavic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back