Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible to add printers with admin account for another user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ei8ball

MIS
Jul 17, 2002
US
Is anyone adding printers or making computer changes to a user's computer without logging in as them (Knowing their password). Up until recently we (admins) have known all our users passwords, but in an attempt to tighten things down we want users to keep them to themselves and periodically change them. The point is, we would like to be able to change user settings like adding a printer, while they are away and logged off. Is it possible to log in as an admin, add a printer, and have the printer show up in their settings once they log back in? This seems practical, but I haven't run across it anywhere....any ideas?

Thanks! You were born an original. Don't die a copy!

I know you need to have admin rights before you make any user changes. This would include, I believe adding a printer, esp. a networked printer. I added a test user to my machine here at work, put the user in the normal user group, logged on that user and saw all of my network printers. I know other things such as setting the date/time needs an admin and once the time is set, it's set for any user of the computer. Same with an admin adding a printr or installing the driver for it.

Thanks for your help, but what I was asking is say you are userA and you are working, then you go to lunch and log off. Being AdminA, I get most of my work done at lunch with users gone. I need to install a new printer on userA's machine, but I don't have their password regardless if they have admin rights or not. All user accounts are domain accounts mind you. Can I, logged in as AdminA add a new printer to userA's profile, so that when they log back in they have the new printer already installed. I'm not just talking printers here, this could apply to installing program and new hardware, etc. Get my drift?

Thanks.....

8ball You were born an original. Don't die a copy!

If the printer is local to the machine, then when you add it, it is available to all users on that machine.

If the printer is networked, then your best bet would be to add it during the logon process, I do this using con2prt.exe It comes with the NT4 Resource Kit, but works beautifully with 2k.

Have a look at this:

Dash --

Dash
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every Minute!!!!!"

DRendar1978, I believe this will work. Does anyone know how to add this as a login script in a Win2K AD environment? Would you use group policy?

How can I use this tool so that it will install upon them logging in the first time?

Thanks! You were born an original. Don't die a copy!

Sure, Its a doddle:

I'm assuming here that none of your users already have login scripts. (Replace the bits in <>'s with relevent data from your network)

Go into ADU&C and double click the user in question.
Click Profile and enter something like &quot;printer1.bat&quot; into the login Script section.

Copy the &quot;con2prt.exe&quot; into the NETLOGON share on your domain server.
Create a batch script file caled &quot;printer1.bat&quot; that looks like this:

@echo off
\\<Domainsvr>\NETLOGON\con2prt /cd \\<PrintSvr>\<Printer>

This will connect whichever computer that user logs into to the specified Printer.

This is the simplest way of adding network printers at logon.

I Hope this helps!

If you need any more help, let me know! :)

--

Dash
&quot;I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every Minute!!!!!&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back